Colchester student fault

Hi I have just purchased a Colchester Student lathe the old round head type 1956 when connected to a three phase supply it will run for a few minutes and then cut out It is as if a coil is heating up and a the cuts out Any ideas as what could be wrong best regards Dave

Reply to
Dave Reeks

Andrew Mawson

Is it running from genuine or 'manufactured' 3-phase?

I had one for a number of years, it woukd run for half an hour or more depending on how hard it was working before the main contactor would start chattering and eventually cutout. I improved it considerably by swapping the phases around - mine was manufactured 3-phase - but never completely cured it. I reckon the heater cutouts were getting too sensitive and this was exaggerated by the imbalance, the proper cure would have been a new contactor.

Tim

Reply to
Tim L

Hi Tim thanks for your reply it is true 3 phase so it looks like the contactor are they easy to get second hand and where is it located as you may have guesed I am a complete novice Dave

Reply to
Dave Reeks

Mine was a MkII, which was basically the round head lathe with tops squared off. The contactor on mine was behind the switch panel on the front below the headstock, the panel was 'plugged in', could be pulled off after removing six or so screws. Easiest would be to replace the whole contactor with something more modern (and smaller), best to get some skilled help if you're not familiar with that sort of electrics.

Tim

Reply to
Tim L