Windscreen Wiper Motor/ Rotary Fixture Drive Queries

I want to make a setup that can drive some rotary motion compnents without having to resort to continuous hand cranking, for example a rotary table on the mill or a spindle for cylindrical pin grinding on a surface grinder.

I know that windscreen wiper motors have been used by others for similar jobs and have a few queries. First off is RPM. How fast do they generally spin, do they have an integral reduction gearbox like a planetary system to achieve this, or is it a bolted-on-the-end-job?

Second is torque - what sort of ball park torque do they put out, and is one particular (vehicle) make of motor more suitable than others? For instance I have heard Land Rover wiper motors mentioned in the past, I think AWEM used one to drive the table on a Dronsfield grinder.

Finally comes power supply. My thoughts are that I could run this off a suitable battery charger to get the necessary 12V supply, is this feasible? Thanks

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Worm and wheel, quite crude. Go for an early type motor as the later ones need the small electronic module for the 3 speeds and pause to rip the rubber strip off.

Yes will run off a decent battery charger

John S.

Reply to
John S

Just be careful with a battery charger. Some put out a high voltage off load that could blow whatever you may control the motor with! (see seperate thread on speed controls).

A 13.6v psu for a Base station CB radio can be a cheap option. Alternatively maybe just a 240/9v transformer, Bridge rectifier and capacitor.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Edwards

--FWIW I built a rig with one of those surplus worm drive wiper motors and I used an R/C motor speed controller to drive it. That way I could use a rheostat that plugged into the AC. I think there was a Stamp in there somewhere too; gotta take it apart to remember exactly what I did tho. Bottom line: there are lotsa options.

Reply to
steamer

I had a bit of luck today and don't need the windscreen wiper motor anymore. Just got a (free) little old Parvalux foot mounting motor about 4" long, 240V and 198 rpm.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill