Q: Tank Stand

Hi, I'm thinking of building a rack to hold 2 aquariums, using 1.5" 1/8" angle. Overall dimensions are 24w 60l 44h only supported on the 4
corners. This rack would be holding 2 tanks of 600lbs each. Is this an ok steel selection? I'd also like to make some to hold 3 tanks at 250lbs each but only 12w 24l 80h could I use the same steel? Could I go down to a 1.25" or even 1"?
Thanks Chris

Is that for water aquariums?
A water aquarium of dimensions 24 by 60 by 35 inches (not filled to top 44 inches but only to 35 inches) is 0.787 cubic meters, or 787 kilograms (without taking rocks and weight of the tank itself). Assuming a 200 lbs tank with rocks included in 200 lbs, it would be 787*2.2+200 = 1900 lbs. Maybe a little bit less if you take smaller interior dimensions into consideration and the fact that rocks displace water, but not much less. Maybe 1700 lbs. That still is a lot higher than your 600 lbs number, hence my question.
Am I missing something? Is that for lizards etc?
Thanks

you're missing that the dimensions are for the size of the stand, not for the 2 tanks.
Its not sufficient to hold that weight without a center support. I have a stand I was given made out of 1 1/2 x 1/8 angle that was made to support 3, 10 gal tanks (20" long each for total of 60" OAL) and the center bowed quite significantly.
--
\|///
( @ @ )
Roy wrote:

really? so i would be better off using 1" tube? it's only 30 cents more a foot lol but when your counting in the hundreds of feet it makes a diff...
I may be wrong, but I don;t think the tube will be any better than the angle will, except it will deflect or roll a bit less when it gets weight on it.......I still do not think it will be sufficieint for what your looking to do, but if I am wrong I am sure someone will point it out in short order.

wrote: Roy wrote:

really? so i would be better off using 1" tube? it's only 30 cents more a foot lol but when your counting in the hundreds of feet it makes a diff...
--
\|///
( @ @ )
But if the 10 gallon tanks were side by side on a 60" span this would not be uniform weight distribution, Whereas a single 60" tank would be unifor weight distribution to the ends and less in the center, actually you could suspend said tank on a set of cinderblocks on the edges with just a 1/4" ply spanning the top and would see no center deflection
Chris

This is true, but your not talking about suspending a tank..your talking about "supporting" the weight on a frame. An aquarium needs firm support, and if it is positioned so it spans a bowed section and not firmly seated on a frame support it puts additional stress on the siliconed seals. Suspending, your only talking about deflection of suspended weight not the load applied, if its at the 4 corners, where its suspended at, then those 4 corners do the load holding,,,,,,not the same as supporting it with 4 legs and loading it up. Its your ball game though, so use what you think is gonna work, but IMHO I for one sure wold not trust the size material to "Support" the load your talking about. Still supporting it at the 4 corners and having a span of 60"s the frame will still bow with 2 individual tanks setting on it.........Suspending with one tank end to end on the 60's inches will transfer part of the load and weight to the tank itself, if the tank itself is part of the frame.....the height of the tank becomes part of the framework, not the case if the tank is just setting on the frame.
Roy wrote:

--
\|///
( @ @ )
Charles Spitzer wrote:

yep each tank is only 8" high

That is not sufficient to hold the weight. If you step up to 1/4" thick, you would probably be ok on the 1-1/2" angle, provided you welded a piece of 3/4"x 1/4" flat bar edge-wise to the bottom of the angle L, about midway across the flat should be fine. The flat in the middle of the L will significantly increase bending strength of the angle across the long 60" span. See sad ASCII attempt below:
|_ |
--
Anthony