water tank design

"The Kid" is on a rolling layoff, so I'm hiring him to do the fabrication on my 6' by 10' plasma cutter. We're building a water tank 16" high by 6' by
10'. Our question, how thick a steel do we need to prevent the water pressure from severely deforming the tank. The main issue is, of course, the bottom and it would be no big deal to put in a reinforcing angle iron every two feet.
"The Kid" thinks 0.070" or 14 gauge should be enough. I'm leaning toward 0.100" or 11guage to be sure. Any way to know?
Second question, if we weld every inch of every seam it will warp for sure. I'd like to just stitch weld it and then use some sort of sealer/filler to prevent leaks. What would work here?
Karl
On Sun, 17 May 2009 17:36:54 -0500, "Karl Townsend"

.125 minimum thickness. 1/8th inch. Frankly..Id go to 3/16th inch. or even .250...1/4"
Shrug...your choice.
If it was only 8" deep..Id say 1/8", with some cross members.
But you are asking Sheet Metal to hold 200 gallons of water.
Shrug
Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do--- his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him. The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"
NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates
On Sun, 17 May 2009 16:13:39 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch

Doublecheck your figures. Water's 8.3lbs/gal and 64.5lbs/cu.ft. That's 7.5 gallons per cu.ft. x 78, or 585 gallons if filled to the top.
-- No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up. --Lily Tomlin
On Sun, 17 May 2009 22:03:10 -0700, Larry Jaques

Very good indeed. I was simply pondering without resorting to a calculator.
Thanks!
Gunner
"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do--- his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him. The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"
NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates
On Mon, 18 May 2009 00:41:54 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch

Jewelcome. I resorted to the calc because it was in front of me. The formulae were in the other room, thus escaping me. ;)
-- No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up. --Lily Tomlin

I find 62.43lb/cu.ft. in my water constants reference....??
LLoyd
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Pure water - 62.4 lb./cu.ft. Sea water - 64.1 lb./cu.ft.
The water in this area is high mineral and dissolved solids and weighs in at 63.05lb./cu.ft. (actually weighed it for a pump ops class!)
--
Steve W.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

At what temperature is that? When we get down to the .0x lbs. we better specify the temp and the value of G. :-) ...lew...

I'll look it up again, but I seem to remember that was at 20C.
In any case, a difference of two pounds per cubic foot isn't accounted for by a few degrees C.
LLoyd
On Mon, 18 May 2009 16:37:26 -0600, the infamous Lew Hartswick

Egad, we missed the RH and sea level coefficients, too! Egg all over our faces, wot?
-- No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up. --Lily Tomlin

Then we have to adjust for the temperature rise from all the hot steel falling in.
jsw
Larry Jaques wrote:

Larry, That is what I said " The value of G" It not only is dependent on "sea level" but those nasty things called "mascons". and I did say hunderedths of a pound not the bigger difference. :-) ...lew...
Larry Jaques wrote:

Larry, That is what I said " The value of G" It not only is dependent on "sea level" but those nasty things called "mascons". and I did say hunderedths of a pound not the bigger difference. :-) ...lew...
Had heavy water numbers maybe ?
Martin :-)
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

or about Sun, 17 May 2009 16:13:39 -0700 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    "A pints a pound the world around" - water is approximately 8 pounds to the gallon. 200 gallons is three quarters of a ton.
    As an engineering guy I knew once wrote "Overstressed systems will eventually become unstressed. But wouldn't you rather do it in a controlled manner?"
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Not in UK it isn't. A UK pint is 1.200949 USA pints, so a UK gallon is about 10lbs. In both languages, 1 cubic foot of water weighs about 62.43lbs, so the proposed (80 cu.ft) tank would hold about 4994.4 lbs (2.23 tons) of water
--
Regards, Gary Wooding
Mon, 18 May 2009 09:32:28 +0100 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Well,I did say "approximately". Now I'm going to have to go dig the reference out and check. (As to the "pints a pound" bit - my response on first hearing that was "Man, beer is expensive!")     Hmm.. 8 pints to the gallon, 8.345 pounds of water to the US gallon, or .133 cubic foot to the gallon US, so ... whip out ye old calculator, punch, punch, punch, ... well, dang, he's right.

    I got 2.5 tons of water, "close enough". Still more than I first estimated, and still enough to over stress a system 8-)
tschus pyotr
"I am always willing to learn. I am not always willing to be taught." WSC
pyotr filipivich wrote:

So, in other words, about a queen sized water bed?
Mon, 18 May 2009 13:26:03 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Ummm, yeah, seems about that much, if you say so.
    Say, if I put a one of them queen size water beds in the other corner of the house (catty whampus from the part which is sagging, you recon I might be able to raise the sagging end enough to rebuild the supports under there?
tschus pyotr
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Upstairs? In a frame house?
No, I think it would lower the whole thing!
:)
Richard