Welding on a compressor tank :-(

reposting to sci.engr.joining.welding

I am sure glad that I chose not to sell this 80 gallon Speedaire compressor.

Based upon first impressions, the motor and pump run fine. However, when bringing the tank up to pressure, I heard a hissing noise at about 140 PSI, and realized that there is a hairline crack in the tank, near a 2" long weld attaching the engine/pump mounting platform to the tank.

The crack does NOT track the heat affected zone of the original weld, in fact it is perpendicular to it.

.

===========

!

Here the "=" signs denote the weld, and "|" signs denote the crack.

In any case, when I saw this happen, I was quite scared and immediately relieved the compressor of pressure.

I am not yet sure what was the cause of this crack in the first place. I will try to find what I can.

My question, obviously, concerns my repair options. I can hardly think of any welding where more is at stake than here, due to pressure. So, I see the following options:

1) Take off motor and pump, cut holes in the tank and throw it away, look for another tank.

2) Repair the tank by welding and hydrotest.

Considering option 2, the first question concerns welding. How would you weld? How do you identify where the crack ends? Would you drill relief holes at ends of the crack?

The second question is about hydrotesting. I was thinking about something simple, such as replace tha gauge with a 400 PSI gauge, close off all openings besides one, fill tank with water, connect to a hydraulic pump or grease gun, and bring pressure to 400 PSI (the tank supports 200 PSI) and look for leaks.

This is very time consuming and I would like to know how likely would it be that I would make some very bad mistake.

Reply to
Ignoramus11135

When I bought my Speedaire compressor it had a welded repair in the same area you mention. I scrapped the tank but cut off and saved the motor mounting plate. I used this plate when I mounted the compressor head and motor to a good used horizontal tank. Steve

Reply to
Up North

OK, thanks to all. I will not use the tank for compressed air. Maybe for pig roasting or some such.

Reply to
Ignoramus11135

Aren't compressor tanks subject to regulation and inspection in most (or all) US states, on the assumption that if your tank blows up and takes out half the neighborhood it's bad for society?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

You are expecting an explosive failure that will cause actual damage from

125 to 175 PSI air in a steel tank?
Reply to
Bob La Londe

I welded only one compressor tank. I kept getting holes, and was puzzled to see only more bubbles each time I restarted and sprayed. Then I remembered the time I pulled the engine in my old Chebbie truck and changed ONE freeze plug. Found that they all equally corrode, and that one leaking was only a symptom of them all being bad. Pulled it a second time and replace all of them.

I cut the compressor tank in half and found that it had rot all along the bottom where the water had stood and corroded it out. Every time I'd fix one hole, it would pop another. I doubt that explosion would be a risk on a lot of tanks, as they would just pop a hole in the weakest place, and not hold enough pressure to explode. Also, the popoff valve would never let it get that overpressurized, even IF the old compressor motor could pull it off and pump it up that high. Explosions come from rapid failure all along a joint joined with serious overpressurization. Most go off with just a big fizz. But not all.

As evidenced in that Dallas gas yard explosion, the popoffs and low melting point sealants don't always work the way they were intended. I would suspect compressors to be the same, but the amount of pressure is a lot less, and generally, a popoff valve is present even on old units.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"Tim Wescott" wrote

They aren't that big, and they don't have that much pressure. Plus, it's only air. Danger is relative to distance, and the danger falls off exponentially with distance.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Only air????

There's a reason the pressure test is done with water.....and never air.

Reply to
David Lesher

I was thinking overnight. If the issue is fatigue from vibration, what if I take the motor and pump off, set them up somewhere else, weld and test the tank, and use it as air receiver tank at a slightly lower pressure (say, 120-150 PSI).

Then further fatigue will not be an issue, as there will not be further vibration.

Reply to
Ignoramus335

I was thinking overnight. If the issue is fatigue from vibration, what if I take the motor and pump off, set them up somewhere else, weld and test the tank, and use it as air receiver tank at a slightly lower pressure (say, 120-150 PSI).

Then further fatigue will not be an issue, as there will not be further vibration.

Reply to
Ignoramus335

I guess you missed the part with the point.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

You can make a nice BBQ from an air tank.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Iggy, we all like to save a buck. But sometimes you just have to do the right thing. Existing fatigue crack and pressure vessel sounds like any repair is the wrong thing to do. Salvage the pump, use the tank for a BBQ grill.

Just take the tank out beh> I was thinking overnight. If the issue is fatigue from vibration, what

Reply to
RoyJ

A good hydro test should restore your confidence

Reply to
nadogail

How long is the crack?

You should be able to weld repair a small vibration crack in the upper area of a tank, with little or no danger to the overall integrity of the tank.

If in doubt, fill it with water, and test it to 5/3 or double the operating pressure of the tank.

But their should be no need to derate the operating pressure of the tank, or move the motor and compressor. If you want to reduce the possibility of the crack returning, mount the motor and compressor and a separate plate, and rubber mount the plate back to the tank in the same location. You would also want to add a flex hose between the compressor and the tank.

Reply to
Edwin Lester

Not if it's fatigued, and it probably is. A hydro test won't tell you how much fatigue life is left on the tank.

Taking the pump off certainly will help, but it sounds like false economy to me. Fatigue is nasty stuff, hard to detect and impossible to repair.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I have very little confidence in old compressors because they generally (999 times out of 1,000) were never drained, or were never used with a water trap. Once it starts leaking, it's easier, faster, and cheaper to just buy another. The only thing I would trust is to roll the tank with ball bearings, flush, dry, and endoscope to inspect the inside, particularly the bottom where the water has sat for years.

If the OP does cut the tank open, I'd be curious about a report of inner condition and corrosion.

STeve

Reply to
SteveB

Approximately 2 inches.

Which was my plan.

The hose is copper. I think that this plan may be workable, I will sit on it for a day or so.

Reply to
Ignoramus335

Steve, the tank is not leaking from the bottom, it is cracked on top.

Reply to
Ignoramus335

It's not fatigue from the pump vibration, it is fatigue from the expansion of the tank under air pressure. Every time you pump up the tank, it expands a few thousandths of an inch. Any weakness or corrosion concentrates that stress.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson