A security bolt

Warning: metal content
http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/security-bolt /

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 00:44:18 -0600, Don Foreman

Nicely done!
Now for a generic key for your bolt
http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/products.php?cat=Cordless%20Grinders
http://www.toolbarn.com/product/makita/9500D / (will unlock The Club in less than 3 minutes)
Gunner
On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 07:51:20 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner

Ditto!
Ouch! That Bosch is over $400USD!

Ah, that's better.

Just as a 4" cordless chainsaw will get you into most any wood- or metal-framed building in that time. Security no longer exists.
--
STOP LIVING LIKE VEAL
-----------------------
On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 04:57:48 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

I "secured" a Harley-Davidson to my garage floor quite like Don's idea. Worked fine until the garage was broken into. Assorted disc grinders, bolt cutters hanging on the wall, and to really help out the thieves... my oxy-acetylene torch parked not ten feet away.
That's me.... always thinking, eh?
I did get the bike back, didn't bother locking it down after that. Bought an alarm system.
Posting from beautiful Hancock, Mi
Larry Jaques wrote:

3 MINUTES? Hah, more like 3 seconds! Most people, even the criminals, don't know that the door is the hardest thing to get through in most modern construction. If you want in fast, just kick right through the WALL. Many houses have 3/8" plywood sheathing on the outside, and wallboard or less on the inside. One kick with a boot will just go right through.
Jon

Right. There's no such thing as "secure" -- but most punks don't carry anglegrinders, nor would they want the noise and sparkshow at night. My intent is just to make it easier to steal someone elses' stuff.
Gunner Asch wrote:

There's a video on Compfused.com where a guy 'steals' his own bike from various locations. Tools varied, but my favorite was popping a service cover from a street light, plugging in an angle grinder, and noisily cutting the lock. He had a business-like manner, as if that's how he always unlocked his bike and not once did anyone do anything more than stare at him for a few seconds...
Sorta depressing actually, and a good reason to cycle commute on cheapo yard sale or auction bought bikes.
Jon

That's what many people do. My own bicycle, which is kind of nice, cost me $2.
On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 17:42:13 GMT, Ignoramus29580

My $35 Cannondale is secured INSIDE an outbuilding that can only be reached by going through the dogs... So are some of the more costly other stuff that needs long term storage.
Gunner

Since we do not seem to have a theft problem, I simply do not secure anything. I have guns and carry them at various moments, so people should not take it as an invitation to visit me without an appointment.
There is also very little stuff that can be stolen from me that can be resold for much money.
Ignoramus29580 wrote:

For some reason , nobody bothers my stuff any more . Maybe because the whole neighborhood knows that I carry a gun *all* the time . The Harleys and assorted characters riding them that stop by on occasion probably don't hurt either ... and y'all'r welcome to stop by any time , just don't raise your voice or act aggressive . The dog doesn't like that ...
I followed your progress with the tig machine with special interest , as I set my Lincoln Weldpack 100 up with gas near the same time . I can see why mig is so popular with neophytes , it's easy (relatively , comparing my experience with stick) to get a nice looking bead with a little practice . I did have some problems with penetration early on , but think I got it figgered out now . At least , stuff breaks next to the weld now instead of the weld giving .
--
Snag aka OSG #1
'76 FLH "Bag Lady"

Actually..I dont have a theft problem either. Locals know this place is Bad Juju..and that I do indeed have acess to a backhoe and 2500 squre miles of desert. And the will to use both. And if some of the rumors are true (they are not), have already done so....<G>
I seldom lock even the doors in the house.
Gunner
Jon Anderson wrote:

One time drove my Corvette down to the hardware store. When I went to leave the alarm started sounding and flashing the lights and wouldn't shut off. I didn't have any tools with me. I looked under the instrument panel and found that I needed a phillips screwdriver to get the cover off. Went into the hardware store and bought a screwdriver. Came out, took the cover off, couldn't see. Went in, got a flashlight. Came out, looked around, found I needed something or other. Ended up about six trips into the hardware store for tools, about an hour and a half of time, the alarm sounding and the lights flashing the whole time, and nobody even stopped to kibitz. Finally got the alarm module out and wired around it and tossed it as far as I could and drove off.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

It's all about how you look when you're doing it. If you look like you're supposed to be where you are, doing what you're doing, you can get away with an awful lot. If you look like you're not supposed to be up to what you're doing, it's pretty obvious.
"Yes, thanks for stopping by when you saw someone going through this gate, officer. It's good to know you guys are watching out for me so well. It's my property; would you like to see my ID?" Of course, some people have a problem with that sort of thing, but that's an attitude problem rather than a real problem.
Years ago, before 9/11, I did lots of work at small airports. Invariably, you'd have the "Authorized vehicles only beyond this point" sign on the road we needed to take to get to the planes we'd be working on. This road was never guarded, and the sign (and sometimes even a gate) were the security. Theory being, as usual, it keeps the casual troublemakers out; the determined ones won't be stopped anyway.
Dave Hinz

I know, I know. Maybe I just wanted to do something with metal as a break. I'm in process of trying to learn to use microcontrollers and program in C. Some high school kids do it, how hard can it be?
Unnnnggghhhh! I'm not a kid anymore!
On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 12:19:13 -0600, Don Foreman

Years ago, when I was tech services manager for Cincinnatti Time, I checked a company car out of the pool, and headed to Fresno for a sales call. Getting it all done, I discovered I needed gas, so pulled into a gas station. Locking gas cap, no key. $#@!
A 12 yr old black kid (rough neighborhood..Belmont and Olive) volunteered to open the gas cap for $10.
He did..inside of about 10 seconds, with a short piece of bicyckle spoke. I paid him.
I was talking to a cop buddy of mine and he commented that the Club was worthless..when I asked..he said the kids were carrying hacksaws, and simply cutting the steering wheel next to the Club, spreading it apart and removing the Club. Took em about 1.5 minutes. No muss no fuss.
Gunner

C is a very fun language... If you write your own code, it is not as difficult as reading others code.
On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 19:11:14 GMT, Ignoramus29580

Yeah, but it'll never overtake Rocky Mountain Basic <G>
Mark Rand RTFM
[...]

http://www.ioccc.org /

    Great! I didn't know that they were still running that. Things seem to have gotten elaborate.
    Enjoy,         DoN.