A security bolt

Warning: metal content

Don Foreman

Nicely done!

Now for a generic key for your bolt

unlock The Club in less than 3 minutes)

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I hate to break it to you, but any reasonably complete set of security bits has a 1/4" allen in it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 07:51:20 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

Ditto!

Ouch! That Bosch is over $400USD!

Ah, that's better.

Just as a 4" cordless chainsaw will get you into most any wood- or metal-framed building in that time. Security no longer exists.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I like the ones with the hex heads that snap off when you torque beyond a certain value - and I like to recess them down inside a counterbore to keep Gunner's key from unlocking them....

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

I "secured" a Harley-Davidson to my garage floor quite like Don's idea. Worked fine until the garage was broken into. Assorted disc grinders, bolt cutters hanging on the wall, and to really help out the thieves... my oxy-acetylene torch parked not ten feet away.

That's me.... always thinking, eh?

I did get the bike back, didn't bother locking it down after that. Bought an alarm system.

Posting from beautiful Hancock, Mi

Reply to
Rastus

I have a set of security bits like that.

Ignoramus29580

I dont care what kind of security bolt you dream up and make, my blue flame wrench will loosen them all. Stuff like this will slow down or discourage the amateurs or opportunists. The more enticicing the target is, the harder the career thieves will work to grab it. A good loud dog with powerful jaws and sharp teeth and a Smith & Wesson are my security systems of choice. Tom

Reply to
Tom Wait

3 MINUTES? Hah, more like 3 seconds! Most people, even the criminals, don't know that the door is the hardest thing to get through in most modern construction. If you want in fast, just kick right through the WALL. Many houses have 3/8" plywood sheathing on the outside, and wallboard or less on the inside. One kick with a boot will just go right through.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Reply to
Mike Berger

Right. There's no such thing as "secure" -- but most punks don't carry anglegrinders, nor would they want the noise and sparkshow at night. My intent is just to make it easier to steal someone elses' stuff.

Reply to
Don Foreman

There's a video on Compfused.com where a guy 'steals' his own bike from various locations. Tools varied, but my favorite was popping a service cover from a street light, plugging in an angle grinder, and noisily cutting the lock. He had a business-like manner, as if that's how he always unlocked his bike and not once did anyone do anything more than stare at him for a few seconds...

Sorta depressing actually, and a good reason to cycle commute on cheapo yard sale or auction bought bikes.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

That's what many people do. My own bicycle, which is kind of nice, cost me $2.

Ignoramus29580

That is exactly the intent because that is by far the most probable threat. I'm "securing" a 10-year-old snowblower, not the kohinoor diamond or even an expensive bicycle. The weak link in my setup is really the chain. Big boltcutters would pop the chain in a second. I just didn't want stealing my snowblower to be too easy.

Determined and resourceful thieves pick their targets to be worth the trouble and risk. I doubt if you can get much dope with an old snowblower.

I've cut several Krypton bikelocks for biker friends of my daughter who've lost their keys. Takes about 30 seconds. BTW, Krypton locks are still vulnerable to liquid nitrogen and a hammer, and every punk has a thermos of LN2 in his kit, right? You know, rIght next to the set of security wrenches, the anglegrinder and the O/A torch....

Reply to
Don Foreman

Gotta think like a thief. If the bolt isn't easily removed quickly and quietly, cut the chain -- or, more likely, find something easier to steal. No deterrent is absolute, any deterrent is better than none.

I know that one can open the locked door of a Chevy truck very quietly and quickly with a bloodpressure cuff. I just lock the doors and take my chances. So far, so good, still have the truck and the stuff inside it.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I know, I know. Maybe I just wanted to do something with metal as a break. I'm in process of trying to learn to use microcontrollers and program in C. Some high school kids do it, how hard can it be?

Unnnnggghhhh! I'm not a kid anymore!

Reply to
Don Foreman

So do I, but they're metric up to 9 mm. Most stuff that uses them uses metric fasteners, usually smaller Torx fasteners.

Anyway, you like to shovel snow so I'm not worried.

Reply to
Don Foreman

One time drove my Corvette down to the hardware store. When I went to leave the alarm started sounding and flashing the lights and wouldn't shut off. I didn't have any tools with me. I looked under the instrument panel and found that I needed a phillips screwdriver to get the cover off. Went into the hardware store and bought a screwdriver. Came out, took the cover off, couldn't see. Went in, got a flashlight. Came out, looked around, found I needed something or other. Ended up about six trips into the hardware store for tools, about an hour and a half of time, the alarm sounding and the lights flashing the whole time, and nobody even stopped to kibitz. Finally got the alarm module out and wired around it and tossed it as far as I could and drove off.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I hope this guy doesn't turn bad and visit Minnesota.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

You CUT a Krytpon lock? You didnt have a BIC pen?

Lots of kids can get em open in less than 30 seconds

Gunner

Gunner Asch