Pro-E on Apple

has anyone heard anything on Pro running on Apple OSX? being as its a BSD Unix core I would think it shouldn't be much of a jump to get it there..... the dual Processor G5 is a pretty powerful machine and the Unix core OS is very stable... not that I'm an apple fan, but it sure makes more sense than supporting Linux being as there are 40 flavors of Linux and only one of apple...

Reply to
ddekker

There is no incentive on Apple's part to support Pro/E. now if you were asking about Unigraphics, then Apple might support that move since Apple has been a UG customer for at least 15 years, longer than Pro has been around.

Reply to
Ben Loosli

No no no... PTC's the one making the decision here. I'm sure Apple would love to have a heavy-weight player like PTC in their world. I would think from PTC's perspective it's all about sufficient market. Same with Unigraphics... if EDS (did they spin this off?) thought porting to OSX was profitable I'll bet they'd have already done it.

Still, PTC was one of the first major CAD/CAE packages on Linux, so it's logical they might be follow onto the Mac. Seems like the UNIX core is only a piece of it. To get the gui ported there would involve quite a bit of new code for the Apple unique stuff. Of course, I'm a fair ways out of my league here.

-meld

Ben Loosli wrote:

Reply to
meld_b

There is an Xserver for OSX so any app written for the X-window System should be fine. Though I suppose that performance would be better if stuff was coded specifically for OSX.

Getting Pro/E running on OSX should be trivial to PTC. Getting a highly optimized version that matches up with Apple's GUI would be much more work.

I wonder if PTC bothers to optimize any of their products for specific platforms.

Regards,

Reply to
Anonymous

guess PTC is bribed by M$ _not_ to do anything in that direction.

ProE was on a lot of UNIXes in the past but nowadays like anything it has become more and more "design(at)ed for windows". Sigh.

Reply to
Walther

Apple uses both Pro/E and UG these days. I'm sure they'd love to have both running on the Mac, just so their engineers could design using their own hardware. They've stuck with UNIX because it takes months to get a req for a Windows machine approved.

Reply to
anon

: "Walther" wrote >

: : guess PTC is bribed by M$ _not_ to do anything in that direction.

It may not be quite that bad. PTC last year issued a verion of Pro/CONCEPT for OSX, in addition to the other systems supported. It's entry into the Mac world was modest and unheralded but it's still got a foot in the door. What their intentions are is anyone's guess. It'll be a year after they've actually *done* it that you'll find out about it, they're so secretive.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

I'd like to add my 2 cents. First, I believe they haven't ported to the MacOS X, is they haven't standardized (Apple) on X-Windows. X-Windows is the windowing system under various GUI interfaces (Gnome, CDE, KDE, etc.). Apple uses their own windowing system. Their drop down menu's aren't even attached to the windows. My son has a Mac Laptop, in order to run some re-compiled Linux apps, he had to install an X-Windows package. Now when he opens up those apps, they at least have the menu's attached to the windows. All of PTC's supported Unix Operating Systems have X-Windows, including Linux. Even though you can install X-Windows, it's not there standard by Apple, therefore basically unsupportable. I'd really like to run Pro-E on a Mac computer, so my next choice (dream) is on Sun Solaris X86, v10, thats suppose to be binary compatible with Linux. Sun better do their job right and get OpenGl running on it.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Gress

: > : : > : guess PTC is bribed by M$ _not_ to do anything in that direction. : >

: > It may not be quite that bad. PTC last year issued a verion of Pro/CONCEPT for : > OSX, in addition to the other systems supported. It's entry into the Mac world was : > modest and unheralded but it's still got a foot in the door. What their intentions : > are is anyone's guess. It'll be a year after they've actually *done* it that : > you'll find out about it, they're so secretive. : >

: > David Janes : >

: >

[...]

Don't know how it runs, what magic they use, but here is PTC's press release from its launch at last year's MacWorld:

And further information on Pro/CONCEPT:

David Janes

Thats all about Pro/Concept. The Mac being based for graphics artist, it makes sense. They don't (Macs) have a reputation for running engineering software, much less user base. That is basically how it looks on the surface.

I would really consider using a Mac myself, the Dual G5 is really impressive. There's no doubt that they can port Pro/E to the Mac, but it wouldn't fall in line with any other ports, Windows or X-Windows.

I have to commend PTC, there aren't many CAD companies porting to various platforms, that is one of the many reasons I went to Pro/E. Not even SolidWorks is considering this.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Gress