Solidworks on an Apple Powerbook?

Hi All,

I've been looking around for my next laptop and am considering the various

17" screen models out there. All the PC models are designed like a brick crapper and weigh about as much.

The only one that is tempting me is Apple's Powerbook G4 17", which is reasonably slim and looks 'designed' , etc. Wonder why none of the PC manufacturers have caught on to producing machines that not only work, but look good at the same time?

I know that it's possible to run Solidworks on a mac through the windows emualtors, but am wondering if anyone has been using an Apple Powerbook as their day to day machine for Solidworks, and what their thougths were.

Regards Olaf

Reply to
Olaf Diegel

Olaf, I have run SolidWorks inside of Virtual PC (now owned by Microsoft) in an earlier version of the PowerBook and SWks 2001. All I can say is it is slow, and most users would say painfully so.

Recently, I loaded up a typical large text document with it native on the 17" PowerBook and also while running in WinXPSP1 in Virtual PC. It opened 7 times slower in the VPC environment.

I routinely use a 17" PowerBook, but use my M60 Dell exclusively for SolidWorks. The PowerBook & my other Macs are the only computers I routinely connect with the Internet for all the usual reasons. Overall, I rate the PowerBook as being far more productive for me (YMMV). I simply do not understand why Microsoft uses the logic they do in human interface design.

I sure wish SolidWorks would do a Unix version of SolidWorks, but I am not going to hold my breath.

I dislike carrying 2 laptops around, but I do it quite a bit. I routinely use BlueTooth to transfer files back and forth between laptops without disrupting other network connections, and that is slick.

All in all, I find it advantageous to use both Mac & Wintel platforms, as I am never at a loss to be able to get things done. I realize that makes me an oddball, but what the heck.

Bo

Reply to
Bo