CADDS 5 not on Sun?

Is anyone running the old CV CADDS 5 on something other than a Sun workstation (esp. an HP)?

If so, does it work as well as on Sun? Any problems? Can you get any support from PTC?

Reply to
Bruce Treffinger

"Bruce Treffinger" wrote

: Can you get any : support from PTC? : Nobody here can speak for PTC. You really need to ask them about the status of the CADDS 5 product. However, one of the bigger users, Solar Turbines in San Diego, California, is slowly migrating all its CADDS 5 licenses to Pro/e. I assumed (heard a rumor? don't remember) that this was because PTC was, at some point, going to stop supporting it. With all kinds of support issues being a huge drag on their bottom line, I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen sooner, rather than later. If you go to PTC's website, there should be some of the information about what it runs on, if you're still interested.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Yes,

We run two seats of CADDS 5i V13 on Windows-based HP workstations (windows

2000) along with 10 seats of Unix-based SUN Ultrasparc workstations.

If you've ever dealt with PTC on CADDS support, you know it can be quite tedious. I can check w/my IT guy, but I believe they do offer support for this setup. We are doing it like this for exactly the reason David mentioned, we are slowly (much too slowly for my taste) migrating to Pro/e WF2.0 AND it was for the same reason! PTC intends to discontinue upgrading and supporting CV in the future (although I cannot remember when).

Does it run as well on the PC as on a SUN...no. It can run on a windows maching only through a UNIX emulator which can cause problems. We had many computer lock ups when we first did this, on very simple commands, too. We struggled through it and they work much better now. One of the things we had to do, was add a delay to some of the command prompts. What was happening was if you clicked an icon (refresh, for instance) and then clicked another icon too soon, it would freeze up. However, they still are not quite as stable as the Unix-based SUN systems.

The other problem, of course, is with any work performed on these seats is not backward-compatible with our 10.0. A good workaround there is to "construct part" of the geometry which can then be inserted into an earlier version (don't know why). Of course, this doesn't help much with dimensioning...

Hope this helps, Da Crew!

Reply to
Da Crew