Pro/INTRALINK 3.0 wont start Proe 2001

Hi

We have recently recieved new computers in our department. Installing intralink & proe on them went fine untill we realised proe will not start through intralink?

So therefore we cant see our commonspace, workspace.

The instalation directories are different then our original instalation (performed by Rand).

Proe starts fine on its own as does Intralink (with commonspace, workspace) but proe wont start through intralink?

I suspect Intralink is looking in the wrong place for the proe.bat but on starting ptcsetup.bat in the intralink directory it is pointing to the correct proe directory.

Hope you can help

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

You need an environment variable to point to the proe.bat file.I think it tells you what environment variable you need to set to open ProE from ProI.

Proe_pdm_path or something like that.(I am at home and don't remember the exact name.)

Reply to
Ben Loosli

: : The instalation directories are different then our : original instalation (performed by Rand). : : Proe starts fine on its own as does Intralink (with commonspace, workspace) : but proe wont start through intralink? : : I suspect Intralink is looking in the wrong place for the proe.bat : but on starting ptcsetup.bat in the intralink directory it is pointing : to the correct proe directory.

Geoff, since the new setup is in a new location but the files from new and previous setups are similarly named, I wonder if you completely uninstalled the previous version first. Possibly paths still exist along with old files that are confusing Intralink. You'd think you would get a message if it could find nothing, but you're certain to get no messages as long as it finds *something*, though, not necessarily the *right* thing. BTW, have you ever seen a sophisticated app that starts up with so many dorky BAT files? Amazing. One of these days, they'll get out of the 80s and into the 21st century.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Its working now, did a stupid thing. Installed Proe to a location with spaces Program files/proe2001. Reinstalled proe to C:\ptc\proe2001 and it now works fine.

Thanks

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

: Its working now, did a stupid thing. Installed Proe to a location with spaces : Program files/proe2001. Reinstalled proe to C:\ptc\proe2001 and it now works : fine.

No, Geoff, you didn't do anything stupid. You just got bit by antiquated, decrepit, 16-bit technology which was supposed to have gone out when everything went 32-bit. But hangs on in Pro/e because of PTC's heavy investment in an oh-so-slick compiling/distribution/licensing scheme involving one generic base code, lots of patching, a single version CD (everything, for every module, in every language, for every platform is on that one CD) and particularly, their paranoia that someone will figure out how there program works and reverse engineer it. Yeah, I forgot about that one also, happened to me many times, along with the notorious "out of environment space" which they finally fixed after half a dozen revs by adding a line to their dorky batch launcher.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes