ProE 2001 refresh problems

I just installed proe on my home pc but when I go into the sketch mode the screen will not refresh. So if the screen resizes or if you change a dimension and try to refresh it won't. Basically it overlaps the old sketch with the modified and you can't tell which one is really there. Anyone have any ideas, no pun intended. The pc is one I built a couple years ago. It has a 850 mhz duron processor with 640 mb ram and a 32 mb agp video card. I don't think it's hardware related because I'm running proe on my laptop with only

4 mb of video ram and it runs fine. Both are running windows 98.
Reply to
Stu Dent

Stu, does it change screen colors when you go into 2d sketcher? If it does, try this. In the config.pro, find the option sketcher_starts_in_2d and change the value to no. This will leave the screen as you normally use it. If you need the sketch plane parallel to the screen, you can set the view orientation to sketch view. Make a map key to shortcut the process. An alternative is to mess around with System colors but generally this is more trouble than it's worth and has unintended consequences.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Did you update your video drivers when Pro was installed? Warning: the new drivers might need an updated Direct X. This can be downloaded for free from Microsoft's website. Nine is the latest version. Try working in OpenGL mode. You should set the config.pro option 'graphics' to 'opengl'

M.N.M.

Reply to
M.N.M.

What makes me suspect that this is not a general graphics problem is that it occurs in sketcher. Often, problems with drivers, etc. result in poor shading, improper screen resets after spinning, screen going blank at odd times, not just sketcher troubles. Also, as far as the recommendation to set graphics to opengl, I don't believe his Windows 98 uses Opengl, rather win32gdi. If you're on an NT or Win2k or xp system, you have Opengl support. Does DirectX require Opengl?

DJ

Reply to
David Janes

Your OS might have something to do with it.

If you upgraded from Win95 or Win95 OSRS. If you upgraded from OSR2 you should be fine, but if it was from the first release chances are your system is still FAT16. Even if it says your system was upgraded to Fat32 you will still have problems. There are also 2 releases of 98 and there is a big difference there too.

Just a suggestion: If it was my system I would do a fresh install of Win98 starting by repartitioning your hard drive/s. Then do a fresh install of Win98 you can do this with your upgrade disk as long as you have your Win95 disk handy. Next go online and upgrade all of 98 and upgrade all of your video drivers and your direct x. Last reinstall your PRO E. Redoing your system like this every so often normally will help to speed up your system.

Like I said this is just a suggestion. If you don't feel comfortable doing this type of thing to your system then don't do it.

John

Reply to
John Morrison

When you did the fresh install did you fdisk? That is remove all your disks partitions and then recreate them up.

I am not sure because it has been awhile since I've used win98, but if you remove all your partitions I think that the windows install will set them up.

Reply to
John Morrison

Of course it's hardware related.

Get a decent OpenGL capable video card, and the problems should go away.

Consider a Nvidia Geforce 1, 2 or 3 based card. There's a Soft-Quadro patch for them somewhere out there on the net. Use it !

Additionally, loose W9x. Get at least NT or better yet, W2k !! Ne1 seriously considering Pro/E and expecting it to work properly shouldn't run W9x .

Duron 850 + GeForce2 (or3) + Soft-Quadro patch + W2k should run very smoothly !!!

Good luck !

Reply to
Speedy Dan