is 2gb of ram

is 2gb of ram is just as good as 4gb.

snipped-for-privacy@cooltoad.com wrote:

Depends on what you're going to use the computer for. If you enlightened us as to how you plan to use the computer, we can give you a more informed answer.
Alias
snipped-for-privacy@cooltoad.com wrote:

More proof that VISTA is dumbing down computer users. If you have to ask a question like that you are too stupid to own a computer.
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

and what's your excuse for being an asshole?
that question could be coming from any user of any OS...

I guess you cover those both! lol
idiot

vista is bad for ya wrote:

Just telling the truth. People ask a lot of questions they can't or won't like the answers to.
If you don't like it, kill file me.
It was cross posted to a design newsgroup where we don't cater to idiots.
Personally, I would locate the motherboard specs and stuff it to the limit with the fastest memory it can use.

OK, how many gig is best on my Commodore 128 with the OS in ROM? My S-100 systems? Do I really need more than 1 k of RAM? How about the Intel Multibus computers in the shop? Or the Motorola Exorcisor computers or VME boxen?

I AM crazy. Anyone who denies being crazy is admitting to being insane.
I spent two years stuck in bed. I only have a couple productive hours per day, yet I haven't given up. I am a 100% disabled US Army Veteran, and I use humor to take the edges off the all too often bad days. Have you ever had to deal with a conceited VA nurse who thinks she is a doctor? Has bad medical advice come close to costing you both legs?
My mother died of Colon cancer decades ago. Her motto was "Crazy is not being afraid to laugh at the world when it kicks you in the teeth." Take that any way you want to. She suffered a year of pain and side effects of her treatment, but did her best to keep her sense of humor.
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

vista is bad for ya wrote:

No excuse required, it comes naturally to him. He's also right btw.
Graham
On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 11:58:33 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

As Alfred E Newman once said, "Two can live as cheaply as one, it just costs twice as much."
Gotta pick up my new skis. Everybody was making fun of my skinny old orange Olins.
John
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Its actually a very good question WRT Vista. A friend of mine (one of the few I have left) bought a new Vista machine spec'd with 4Gb or RAM. The BIOS detected 4Gb, but Vista could only see 2Gb. So, in this case, 2Gb IS just as good as 4Gb.
Your answer should have been, "If you've bought Vista, you are too stupid to own a computer".

I assume this is 32 bit Vista. It should see 4G, so something is wrong.
With SP1 then vista (aka the crap OS of all space and time) detects the existence of 4, but normally uses around 3.3 gb

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 19:42:28 -0800 (PST), the renowned

Some of the address space is used for memory mapped hardware. I don't think I've seen more than about 3G available in a system with 4G RAM and a 32-bit O/S.
I am hoping that 64-bit Windows 7 will be available relatively soon, since I'm running into RAM limitations, and I'd like to dedicate a fairly fast machine with 32G or so of RAM to running such programs (and avoid Vista64-- already seen a ton of problems with running XP64 general purpose, hence the dedicated machine). A fast machine with 32G of RAM is still cheap compared to some of the engineering softare (Matlab, FEA, CFD type stuff).
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
how will you achieve 32 gb ram?
my mobo has 4 slots and I can find only 2 gig chips
Info for manufacturers:

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 19:45:51 +0200, the renowned "vista is bad for ya"

Many of the LGA 1366 boards support 24G now (triple channel, 6 slots), but DDR3 memory 4G isn't widely available yet. Give it a few more months.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

It might be an AMD thing, but the mobo vendors spec slower RAM if you really stuff it. I built a linux system out of a quad core AMD using an Asus M3N78 PRO with 8 Gbytes. I don't do any graphics on the system, so I used the on board video and it steals about a Gbyte. I think when the dust settles, I get about 6.5G. I have an app that uses about 5G. Anyway, past 4G they suggested slower RAM, probably due to capacitance issues.
I believe Intel puts the memory controller in the chipset, while AMD puts it in the CPU. So I don't know if Intel can handle more ram without a slow down, but it would be worth checking out.
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Give that man a cigar, for he knoweth.

" snipped-for-privacy@sushi.com" wrote:

Something to do with the chipset the MoBo uses, according to the PC manufacturer. Even motherboards need their own drivers, not all of which Vista supports properly.
Hey... don't try to copy my tradmark
which is
"vista is stupid" T
and "if you like vista, then you are stupid" T

You statement should be: If you've installed Ubuntu, you are too stupid to own a computer.
On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 11:58:33 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

People who ask questions, maybe not in their own field of expertise, tend to learn things.
People who think they know everything, and call other people stupid, should probably try learning something outside their own field of expertise...
Mike, did you leap fully formed from the womb? Did you never have to ask anyone about anything? Since you have been born you have known everything? Just curious...
Easy to use graphics effects: http://www.ransen.com /
vista uses extra ram as a cache keeping programs that it uses frequently in that cache for the next time you run it..
therefore the more ram you have the better
that said, for computer for everyday use will see a small increase in performance but for a computer doing graphics you absolutely need more ram than 2 gb...
vista is a very fat and boated OS... and it depends on much ram to get its fat arse moving...
for the vista loving trolls who deny this, please let them remove the extra ram they have and let them use only 512 mb ram
XP would runs "ok" with 512mb meaning that you can use it for some tasks, but vista strains under its own weight.