new workstation for Diego

We're building 3 new workstations here, and I'd appreciate some

feedback. I've given preliminary approval, but if you see any weak

spots and would like to comment it would be welcome.

We're a fabrication shop, and most of our SW stuff is sheet metal and

weldments. The parts for the workstations are coming from Newegg for

about $1425. We typically keep our eng workstations for 3 years then

pass them on down the food chain.

I'll typically have SW07 with maybe 10 parts, an assembly and a couple

drawings, DWG editor or ACAD LT with two dxf files, Jobboss, excel with

one worksheet, outlook and IE, Ncell or Nc express (nesting software)

open at any one time.

Here's the spec's:

ASUS P5W DH deluxe/wifi-ap lga 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4 ghz lga 775 processor

Kingston 2gb (2 x 1gb) DDR2 sdram DDR2 667 - room on the mobo for 8

gb

PNY Quadro FX1500 256mb gddr3 pci express x 16 video card

Seagate 7200 80gb sata hard drive - (95% of our work is saved on the

network)

Sony combo drive - CRX320EE/B2S

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC ATX Mid

Tower Computer Case

any feedback is welcome, thanks, Diego

Reply to
Diego

Only thing I can think to mention is against the Intel CPU. Nothing

against Intel at all, it's just that SolidWorks doesn't play well with

Hyperthreading to the point it seems to actually slow SW down. The

last systems we've purchased have been AMD due to this since the

systems are primarily for SW.

Reply to
Raptor

Is it the hyperthreading, or multiprocessors that SW07 has problems with? I

have heard of programs that will force a program to run on a single

processor in XP.

Reply to
YouGoFirst

Get 1000 mHz memory

Raptor wrote:

Reply to
RaceBikesOrWork

It's hyperthreading. I bought a box with an Intel hyperthreaded

processor and it benchmarked far slower than slower processors. I was

also unable to turn off the hyperthreading due to a bios/mobo limitation.

I sent the Intel box back and got an AMD dual core processor and it

flies in comparison.

SW works fine with multiprocessors and dual core. Depending on what type

of work you do, it may not get much benefit from the additional

capacity, but for multibody work in particular, it seems to access both

processors, and certainly for drawings and assemblies, fea, rendering, etc.

Reply to
matt

Core2Duo does not do Hyperthreading. That was a method Intel used to try to

make up for some of the deficiencies of the P4 chips. Core2Duo is another

animal, and not a bad choice at all. The fastest Core2Duo is currently

faster than the fastest anything from AMD. I'm not sure how

price/performance works out on the lowere speed grades, but you won't go

far wrong if the E6600 isn't the best deal.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

If you really want to know if you have the best hardware for your needs, go

to tomshardware.com and ask the people there to rate your system. Make sure

that you tell them that you are doing CAD work on it. That way they won't

make fun of your graphics card.

Reply to
YouGoFirst

More ram. 2gb is nice. 4gb is nicer.

:~)>

bob z.

p.s. been through the desert on a horse with no name...

Reply to
bob zee