new here

Hi all

Nice group - very informative and interesting reading. I've just come back to modelling after a few years break, and I'm currently building the Academy

1/32 F-16. Highlights so far include "big mouth" inlet that doesn't fit, the decking behind the cockpit tub being 2mm too short, prominent moulding lines down the centre of both parts of the canopy and the rear part of the fuselage that the jet pipe goes into not fitting. Sorting out the latter problem as I type - waiting for filler skimmed over plastic card to go off right now. For all that, it's still an enjoyable build.

I'm looking at the Trumpeter Westland Wyvern next. Has anybody here built one of these? What is it like?

flak monkey

Welcome. This is a good group. I am surprised that no one else has responded yet. I can't answer your question, since I build car models only, but someone should be along shortly that can. Russ

Reply to
russ

I'm embarrassed to say I forgot Steve's post. I don't build 1/32nd stuff so I have no comment about the F-16. All I know about the Wyvern is that someone here recently was asking about some markings details. My Wyvern experience is limited to having built a Frog kit many years ago. I do like the looks of the big beast.

So this is a long roundabout way of saying, Welcome to the group, Steve!

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Guess I should check my own posts a little more frequently, because I missed both replies until today. Oops. Well, I guess I'll just get the Wyvern anyway, it has to be better than the F-16, right? Then there's the Trumpeter

1/32 Me262 crying out for a good home, and the Revell 1/32 Tornado ECR Tigermeet and 1/48 B-58 that I picked up in Manchester for £15 each in a sale. Looks like I'll be busy.

flak monkey

Steve, Quite a few reviews on the Trumpter Wyvern out there. The only major issue I recall seeing is that the folding wingtips are inappropriate for all but the early Wyverns, IIRC. These sites may be worth checking out for reviews:

's.htm
Don McIntyre Clarksville, TN

Reply to
Don McIntyre

Steve, Quite a few reviews on the Trumpter Wyvern out there. The only major issue I recall seeing is that the folding wingtips are inappropriate for all but the early Wyverns, IIRC. These sites may be worth checking out for reviews:

's.htm
Don McIntyre Clarksville, TN

I did Google up a few favourable "in box" reviews of the Wyvern kit, but having said that I also found some good reviews of the Academy 1/32 F-16, and there is no way now I could honestly recommend that kit in view of its many problems regarding accuracy and fit which are too numerous to list within the scope of this thread. The modelingmadness site looks to be a build-up review, which was more what I was looking for, and more to the point it's a favourable review. Looks like the Wyvern will be coming home with me, along with a 1/48 Airfix Seafire FR47 to keep it company. Thanks for the links, much appreciated.

flak monkey