New workstation specs

Hi Guys, we are looking to get a new workstation to run Solidworks 2004 and Nastran. I know this has been talked about before but hardware changes so quickly I felt the need to ask again. We need the best graphics and number crunching power available for a budget of about Cdn$5000.000, we will probably use a Samsung Syncmaster range of monitor, as we find them incredible in the bang for buck range, although other suggestiona very welcome.

Cheers

Reply to
Phil Evans

Earlier this week I had occasion to specify a new monitor. I saw Samsung

21" monitors capable of 2048 x 1536 on Tiger Direct's website for US$259.99 (recertified). I happened to shoose the Viewsonic they had available.

I don't know exactly what to expect from a recertified monitor, but the one I ordered still has the factory warranty. Maybe you can save enough for another pair of DIMMs.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Phil

I've recently upgraded my hardware with a 3.06 GHz Intel processor, = Gigabyte 8INXP Motherboard=20 and fitted a Leadtek Geforce4 4800 Graphics card Software hacked to a = Quadro using Rivatuner

(turns into a 780XL Quadro). I'm very pleased with it. I stuck with the Geforce4 after doing a bit of research also confirmed = by, a very interesting article by Eddie Hicks in comp.cad.solidworks = about the benefits (NOT), of the newer FX cards
Had a few issues with the earlier detonator drivers (around V 43.51), now running V52.16 whql drivers and seems to be rock steady. Can still buy Geforce 4 cards and quite cheap now here (New Zealand). Probably giving them away over tour side of the pond.

Cheers

--=20 Neville Williams Cad Design & 3D Visualisation ZAxiS (remove the "knot" to reply)

Reply to
Nev Williams