is 2gb of ram

vista is bad for ya wrote:

XP barely crawls with 512 MB of RAM if the all the 'Windows updates' are installed.
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 13:31:03 -0500, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Geez - that is sure depressing! I've seen Linux installs that breeze along quite handily with 256mb.
ray wrote:

XP works fine with 512 MB of RAM if it's RAM that's better than pc-100 or 133.
Alias
On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 19:43:49 +0100, Alias wrote:

You cannot really say that. IT depends on what applications you want to run and how many you want open at any one time. Besides we all know that Windows is a very inefficient OS and does a poor job of multitasking applications.
Alias wrote:

If you don't mind excessive use of the swap files.
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

ray wrote:

Try doing multiple tasks with it. You can install XP with 128 MB, but try using it if you install the updates.
I used to run a Commodore 64 with 38911 bytes of RAM.
The embedded 68340 processor controlling the equipment used for audio, video, & data uplink to the ISS has 64K * 16 EPROM, and 2k * 16 SRAM and a 16 MHz CPU clock
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

crap..
xp works better with 512 mb ram than vista works with 1gb ram!
lol
also if you know what you are doing you can greatly reduce the footprint of xp to use far less resources...
not to mention that you can make lite versions of xp using nlite..
vista even with vlite is just too fat
that's why microsoft has embedded for xp but NOT for vista , and they will never have an embeded version of vista..
they skipped the monster and next embedded version will be based on windows 7
you suck!

vista is bad for ya wrote:

Yes, you are full of it. I'll bet you even have brown eyes.

You think that's funny? Its pathetic.

Do you expect the average user to do that? Even when you strip away the crap for them, they quickly install enough third party crap to bring it back to its knees. I spent most of the Christmas holiday cleaning up the computers for a local business. They were clean a few months ago, and some have a hundred browser plug ins and other memory wasters. They take a larger hard drive as a challenge to fill it up.

WHICH Vista? There are too many fragmented versions.

Sure there will. Just add concrete. I used embedded NT in the Microdyne RCB2000 series Telemetry systems. It, and all software ran from an M-Disk 40 MB solid state hard drive and 32 MB of DIMM DRAM. It booted and ran in about 15 seconds. XP would take several minutes, and Vista would take 15.

Sigh. Most embedded systems have abandoned Windows altogether. 95% of the bells and whistles in Windows get in the way of doing any actual work.

You are projecting your own limitations on others. I suppose you're another of those "My IQ is 154!" types that show up on SED. You are the typical computer user idiot who thinks they know every situation.
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

answers to your pathetic post are inline

I don't like the sound of this... it sounds to me as racist... No I have green eyes. If you are referring to shit content.. your blood has been replaced with shit!

So it's a good way to make some extra money, you pathetic computer sweeper you! You always like to see the bad side of things!

All vista is crap... there is not much difference

Have you heard of minwin you dope? No? Its actually windows7! They cant let that part of the market slip away... Microsoft knows this... And the answer is windows7!

Who said I love windows?

Actually now that you brought it up, I have more than that.

I didn't say I know everything, but I did say you are a moron!

vista is bad for ya wrote:

Just as I suspected, another moron with a shit fetish. You really need to meet 'dimbulb'. You two could be twins.

Actually, I am a 100% disabled US Army Veteran who repair computers for free to keep busy a few hours a week, so there goes more of your half-vast ignorance out on the floor for everyone to walk around. In fact, sometimes it costs me money to help others. Some people aren't greed driven, as you appear to be.

No, I like to see things work the way they were designed. I was a broadcast engineer in both radio & Television. I wanted zero downtime, and did my best to see that it happened. All spare equipment was ready to use, and preventive maintenance went off like clockwork. I did some RADAR work in the military. I also worked with microwave communications and weather instrumentation.
At my last job before becoming disabled, I worked on the designs of Telemetry & communications systems for NASA, NOAA, the ESA, and the ISS. I worked in all segments including the embedded controllers, the RF, DSP based IF and video filters, and approved a lot of the components for the projects. I wrote test procedures, and a lot of ECOs before the design was ready for production.
Do you have any idea how it felt to hear, "We have lost Telemetry" when we lost the last shuttle? It was like being kicked in the stomach. The shuttle was being tracked from multiple ground locations with redundant equipment that I had worked on. I knew that it was impossible for it to be a complete and simultaneous failure at multiple ground locations. At that instant I knew what was happening, but wishing such an equipment failure was possible.

Where did I say it wasn't? Pay attention. You must be one of those attention deficit MTV watching losers.

Vaporware is never the answer. Until it ships and is shown to work, its just more marketing BS, like their 'Mojave' BS. In fact, it may never ship. It wouldn't be the first time microsoft changed direction and renumbered or renamed a product.

Once again, you aren't paying attention. It wasn't me.

Sure you do Why, I'll bet its 666! So high that they had to write a new IQ test, just for you. I suppose you not only belong to Mensa, but are the president egghead as well. What have you ever done with your huge IQ other than trash talk?

Which shows that you don't know what you are talking about. Also, you never answered my questions about the other computer busses, and how much memory they can use.
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

You wont get my sympathy because you are disabled or a veteran. I will treat you like any other idiot.
In

The problem is that you are trying to help only a few at a time... try to help 1000 at a time then come back and we will talk..
Greed? Oh yes I am greedy for knowledge but money is only a vehicle to do good... and that's how I use it. In order to do much good, you need many things, and money is the best way to get to them.
That is the proper view of seeing wealth, only those who have can give and keep giving.
From your statement you seem to have a problem with money...
I used to be like that.. but I changed.. here is something wise for you:
"It is a sin to be poor... It is the duty of every person to be rich." - George Bernard Shaw

Challenger accident was probably caused by lack of funding to do the proper adaptations and checks needed.
The shuttle technology should have been replaced by then anyway.. The whole thing sticks from the head..

I don't have an idea.. but this is not the worse thing that has happened to people you know.... its just that cameras were pointed there... and this magnifies the tragedy... there are millions of children dying from simple diseases and malnourishment that no one seems to care about. No camera there to record their deaths though... I think those kids would prefer to go up in a big bang than die slowly.

we basically agree on everything, the only problem is that I wont be kind to you, and you don't like that.. so we are fighting just for the hell of it. Don't misinterpret my insults as lack of sympathy.

It might be, but if it is Microsoft will have just created its own tombstone and dug its grave. Windows7 has to work.. or else microsoft the giant will fall with a big thump.

Sorry can you post the questions again, they were lost among all that crap you were posting. I would be more than happy to explain everything to you.
:-)

vista is bad for ya wrote:

Sigh. Such a small mind, and so much hatred.

You are the idiot. You continue to show proof of that. I spend all my available time doing charitable work. Most of the time when I am online, I have a computer or two on the bench behind me doing a test, or installing software. Why don't you spend years confined to bed, then slowly recover from over a dozen medical problems, then get back to me? That is, if you survive. With your sorry attitude, I give you about a 5% chance.

Greedy? Then you're one of the SOBs responsible for the current economic meltdown. As far as knowledge, I continue to study electronics, even though the VA has told me I will never be able to work again.

I always used hard work with whatever cash was at hand. I didn't need greed. I started a successful business with $20 in 1970, and over half that was spent on the business license. I never advertised the business, yet it grew to more work than I could handle. I couldn't find competent help. Only greedy morons who wanted to take shortcuts on the materials & workmanship.

I have TIME. Sometimes that is worth more than money.

Actually, no I don't. I pay all my bills on time, I have never owned a credit card, and my house will soon be paid off. My truck is paid off and I have a nice place to live with a fairly good collection of tools and over 1000 books in my library.

A lame, meaningless quote from a second rate hack is the best you can do?
'Rich' isn't always about material things. Apparently you are so wrapped up in the need for money that it has blinded you to life's pleasures.

Like I said, you have absolutely no idea. The Challenger was the FIRST shuttle lost.

What cameras? Columbia disintegrated during reentry and was scattered across several states.

World's smallest violin. See it? People have been trying to help for generations, but they have come to expect handouts. Billions have bee given in aid, wells drilled, farming tools and seeds for crops, and what do they do? They won't do the simple maintenance they were taught for the pumps or farm equipment. They eat the seed, instead of planting it, because someone else will do the hard work for them or bring more food. They continue to have more kids than they can support, because they were too lazy to take the birth control pills. Some African women even made necklaces out of them. They insist in living in some of the least suitable places on earth, while they starve their kids and themselves to death. Ample proof that you can't fix stupid.

Now you are a mind reader?

You are nothing more than a gnat on the ass of the universe. I don't care what you think of me. Its obvious you don't think much of yourself, or anyone else.

50 years from now: Anyone remember Microsoft? Crickets. More crickets. Still more crickets...............................
Does anyone care? Crickets. More crickets. Still more crickets...............................

I'll give you a really easy one. How much memory can you use in a system bassed on the Exorcisor buss?

Sure you will. With more stupid quotes from Shaw?
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Hey Micheal
calm down...
I was not talking seriously... but I didn't really want to aggravate you...
I thought you would catch on that I was just teasing you.
forgive me if I have made you mad of feel bad in any way...
You are a good man, and don't let anyone put you down...not even me.
I am not an insensitive idiot, although I can understand why you might believe that... since you had only these post to go along with.
Keep doing what you are doing... and I will be honest, that I wish there were more people like you around
have a nice new year...

And I remember mainframe computers that were considered huge because they had 2 gb of mass storage. Times have changed and now it takes 2 gb just to start the damn thing.
On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 08:04:52 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@cooltoad.com wrote:

No, 4gb of ram is twice as good as 2gb.
On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 14:29:39 -0500, Happy Trails wrote:

Not really true. If your system is using 1GB then how is 4GB twice as good as 2GB and if you are doing database (IO Bound) memory does not do as much as if you are number crunching.
snipped-for-privacy@cooltoad.com wrote:

Cor Blimey, some mothers do have them !
They went to the Moon and back on something like 24kB IIRC.
Graham
On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 21:18:13 +0000, the renowned Eeyore

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
On Dec 27, 8:04am, snipped-for-privacy@cooltoad.com wrote:

In some cases 2gb is better. Setting aside half the address space for memory mapped I/O can make for a better system. If you put 2bg on a 24MHz version of the 8051, and make it address 2gb of external RAM is will out perform a 4gb, 4GHz quad core machine with graphics accelerator running Vista. Part of the problem is that Vista uses the bogosort routine to sort the PIDs to find the next task to give a time slice to but the 8051 just uses the JMP @A+DPTR
If you are doing graphics on your PC, you should stop right now. PCs are for doing spreadsheets.
snipped-for-privacy@cooltoad.com wrote:

Half as good.
--
Van Chocstraw