2GB installed, only 1GB in use?

I have recently installed 2GB of Ram to overcome system stability
problems; I was working on solid models of castings; swept shapes
intersecting features from many directions with fillets to smooth
transitions, internal and external detail.
The system is now stable however a memory manager that I have installed
shows that the RAM memory usage rarely exceeds a 1GB level mostly
staying around 800-900 KB. I dont know if the system is any faster, I
believe it is.
My question is; how do you know if the full potential of the 2GB RAM is
being used, are there any settings that need to be set to in Windows XP
Pro?
Any feedback appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply to
cymech
I've got 2.5 GB on my machine and our FEA machine has 4 GB. We've never changed anything in Windows XP Pro to use the RAM. My machine usually gets to at least 1.3 GB, sometimes as high as 1.6 GB before SW starts getting flaky or crashes. The FEA machine seems to be quite happy up to 1.6 GB and has gotten over 2.0 GB without crashing.
Jerry Steiger
I'm a fan of the 3gb switch in XP Pro. I have seen memory usage hit 2.6 gb before freezing up
Mike
Reply to
Michael Eckstein
If I remember correctly, no matter how much ram you have installed, XP will take half of the available ram for it's self. You had 1GB installed and going by the amount of ram you were using, you must have had a lot of pagefile usage and disk thrashing going on. Now that you have more ram, your system should be a lot more stable.
Reply to
pete
How do you set this switch again??? Thanks
"Michael Eckstein" wrote in message news:0dcxe.3422$ snipped-for-privacy@fe02.lga...
Reply to
The Pixleys
Thanks for the feedback. Looks as if everything is as it should be. XP seems to be a hungry critter, a regular Mr 50%.
Reply to
cymech
In the task manager go to the processes tab. Bring down the view menu and click Select Columns. Pick "Mem Usage" and "Virtual Memory Size". This will allow you to see how much memory an application is using from physical ram and how much is being squirreled away in disk cache. If you run a benchmark like PatBench with 11 or 12 iterations selected you should see Mem Usage peak at whatever your system is capable of before SW crashes. If you crash at 1.6 Gb or so, then enable the 3Gb switch and try again. You should be able to hit around 2.6 Gb before crashing SW.
You can get PatBench at:
TOP
You can access all 3 parts of an article series on the 3Gb switch here.
Or if you can't get into there, you can also find it here.
is a link into the articles directory of our SW User group site. I put a copy of several misc articles I have written or collected, so take a look at what else is there - you might find something else that tickles your fancy.
WT
Reply to
Wayne Tiffany
Great...Thanks
Reply to
The Pixleys
Is the Microsoft Hotfix still required with SP2 for Xp?
Regards
John Layne
Reply to
John Layne
No, I've verified that on my machine. Xp Sp2 does not require the patch that was required for XP SP1.
WT
"John Layne"
Reply to
Wayne Tiffany
> No, I've verified that on my machine. Xp Sp2 does not require the patch > that was required for XP SP1. > > WT > > "John Layne"
Reply to
John Layne
That would be an interesting test to run. I found that with what I deal with most of the time, I just leave it on.
WT
"John Layne" > that was required for XP SP1.
Reply to
Wayne Tiffany