Memory usage in drawings sw2006sp5.1

While in a drawing, there is considerable disk thrashing while doing simple stuff like editing dim text, etc. I looked at the memory usage in the winxp task mgr performance screen. My machine (a Dell670) has only 1gb at the moment, but the peak usage shown was only 518k, so it would seem like there's lots of headroom available. Does swx go to disk at some amount well below the physical memory capacity? The machine has only one HD, a Cheetah 73GB, and the paging file is set to

3GB (initial and max). More RAM is on the way, but if somethings wrong, I want to fix it regardless. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

I don't see this type of behavior (but I've got 2.5 GB of RAM). I've been told that the Task Manager doesn't do a great job of showing the actual memory usage. Certainly SolidWorks gets into trouble long before I start to run out of RAM according to the Task Manager. It could be you're seeing a Windows thing, where it decides to use swap space even though you are quite a ways away from using all of your RAM. Or maybe it's a SolidWorks thing. In any case, more RAM should help.

Jerry Steiger
  1. Is SW the only application running?
  2. Do you have the 3Gb switch set? Even with 1Gb it helps.
  3. What is in the drawing and how many and what types of views?
  4. Did it behave the same way on this drawing on the previous SP?
Reply to
TOP

I don't have the 3gb switch set. Any downside to doing that? SWx is only app running at the time (no antivirus, etc on this machine). The drawing has seveal views with profiles projected from castings including quite a few splines, and some offset splines. About 12 views, only a couple sections of single components. (Maybe the real issue is faulty reporting of memory usage, as Jerry posted?) It acted the same way on 5.0 and maybe 4.1

Bill

Reply to
bill allemann