What video card would be better for SolidWorks

I have the option to either use a NVIDIA GEFORCE4 TI 4200 or NVIDIA GEFORCE FX

5200 AGP 4X graphics card. Both are available and 128MB, and I was wondering which one would be better with SolidWorks. I have no idea in telling the difference between the two.

THANKS

Joe

Get a Quadro

Also check out the SW website for cards that work well with SW.

Regards, Scott

Reply to
Scott

Get the FX5200 and tweak it into a Quadro using SoftQuadro.

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti

When I built this computer I couldn't afford a 'real' CAD video card so I got the Ti4400. Having never seen a 'real' CAD video card in action I can say that I am quite pleased with this card. There are occasional issues where it's less than perfect, but overall, and especially for the price I'm quite pleased.

*Although* Only since moving up to SWX2003 have I seen the problem of *massive* graphics slowdown after opening dozens of files, eg. I'll be working away for several hours opening, working on and closing files, often with 2, 3, 4 up to 6 files at a time open, everything is fine then all of a sudden things will grind to a halt, rotations that took split seconds now take many seconds, etc. The only thing to do is Save, Exit and Restart.

Till I get the $$ it'll have to do, although I saw a nice on on ebay sell for just over $200

2¢ Whit

Joe wrote:

Reply to
Whit

I bought a Quadro 500 FX for just under $300 and it works GREAT for SW04 - IMO!

Regards, Scott

Reply to
Scott

Sounds like you are running into the less than sterling SW memory handling. Next time this happens, check your Task Manager. I'll bet you'll be running in swap space (your Total Commit Charge will be greater than your Total Physical Memory

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

Does that mean even more RAM in necessary, I have 1Gb as it is, with a

3Gb swapfile.

Another weird issue I've seen lately is that aftre working for a few hours I'll loose the ability to select anything with the cursor/mouse-pick, but only in some files. If I have 3 files open only one will get this problem.

I'll be sure to take a look next time it happens.

Whit

Jerry Steiger wrote:

Reply to
whit

Jerry,

Commit Charge: If I understand correctly, the commit charge is a combination of memory allocated to programs and the system according to the help definition. If this is correct, then the commit charge could conceivably be greater than physical memory.

Frequency of CTD for me have increased since installing 2004 (was 2003.) I have been monitoring the task manager performance and noticed that my system exceeds 100% CPU when running both the internet and simultaneously saving a SolidWorks assembly file. Lately, the majority of my CTD have occurred when saving SolidWorks assemblies even without the internet connection.

I have also been seeing an occasional problem while shutting down my system. An Outlook message will pop up warning the application must be closed before shutting down the system even though the application is closed. Task manager confirms nothing is running during these messages. I have uninstalled/reinstalled both Window XP Office (SP2) and SolidWorks (SP0) to see if this would correct the problem (it didn't). Prior to the installation of SolidWorks 2004 reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP Professional (SP1)

System Hardware: 1.5Mb RAM, Dell 8250, Quardro4 750 XGL (driver 4.5.2.3)

Kman

Reply to
Kman

Does that mean you have a 3GB paging file, or you have a 2GB paging file? I seem to recall someone in this group saying that running too large a paging file can also cause problems. You might want to try setting your paging file to 2048 MB (3GB total of physical and virtual memory) and see if it helps any.

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

I have also seen this happen - not being able to select things. Next time that happens, do a RMB on a part in the FM tree and reload it. This usually works for me to be able to "unlock" the system.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

This is not related to your page file size or ram. This is a known issue for gaming card of Gforce family. Use the rivatuner to hack the card to a quadro and this will diseapear. I did it and it works, you'll will have a quadro identified card.

robin

Reply to
Robin Boudreault

Believe me I've been very temtped to try it, just I'm not *that* comfortable messing with the parts inside the pc, it works fine 97% of the time. I figure in another 6-12 months I'll be getting a better card or a cheap used card and try the hack on it- have to keep up with fancy SWX graphics

Whit

Reply to
Whit

When you reinstalled SW did you do a clean uninstall and reinstall?

installation

Reply to
Scott

Jerry,

I have two hard drives installed on my system. One for apps C:\ and other for data D:\ Paging file size 2048 on C: and twice that on D:\

Kman

Reply to
Kman

Scott,

I'm not sure what you mean by clean uninstall and reinstall. If you mean uninstall SW through control panel, delete the SW folder on root directory and delete all SW registry folders then my answer is yes.

Kman

Reply to
Kman

Yep - thats what I mean by a clean uninstall and reinstall.

Reply to
Scott

Whit It's a software hack, no messing about with soldering or resistors. It's a fairly straightforward and painless operation and does make a good bit of difference to the cards - see Mike Wilson's excellent bit at:

(must learn how to use that "make a short link" thing!) Best of luck Deri

Reply to
Deri Jones

Jerry,

I have two hard drives installed on my system. One for apps C:\ and other for data D:\ Paging file size 2048 on C: and twice that on D:\

Kman

Reply to
Devon T. Sowell