Efficiency of Hydraulic Ram Pump

I'm not sure this is strictly relevant as I'm completely ignorant of
the energy efficiency of ram pumps, however I did build and install
one of a modified design. It operated with 600 - 700mm of fall in
water level (depending on how deep the stream was at the time) and
pumped up to a tank over 50m above the pump. It pumped about 200litres
a day.(Not much except it's continuous pumping meant it was much more
than I needed for household use.) Called a Platypus pump by it's
developer, the design differs from the original Montgolfier design and
the commonly manufactured types I've seen by using a much larger
diameter drive pipe and 'slam' valve, No 'snifter' opening, and a
pressure tank modified from a household pressure pump rather than the
usual air chamber - the opening is enlarged to allow maximum flow into
the pressure tank during the hammer phase and it was stuffed with high
density rubber foam to absorb the sudden influx and release it more
slowly. The pressure tank was primed by pumping to a pressure about
equal to that of the delivery line, The non return valve was also
modified with a heavier spring. Without the last 2 items most of the
water tended to "bounce" back before the non-return valve closed.
Relying as it does on a larger flow through a bigger 'drive' pipe it
may not be that much more efficient for the volume flowing through it.
Energy wise I suspect (but can't prove) that it's better than the
traditional design since the ?snifter' opening has to reduce the peak
pressure during the ram phase. It's certainly more effective -
operating with a smaller fall and pumping to much higher head. The old
style ram pumps wouldn't work at all in my situation.
There is also another recent design that I haven't had personal
experience with that uses a diaphram connected to a small piston pump.
It does use a water hammer in a similar way to provide the pumping
energy to the diaphram. It's supposed to be very quiet and efficient
(as in height and volume pumped for the amount of drop in water level
at river/stream level), but I believe it too uses a larger overall
water flow rate than convention types. It's called a Glockerman pump.
(no result with web search, sorry )
Reply to
Loading thread data ...

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.