Re: notebook computer suggestions

I recently purchased a laptop over the internet that was made by Uniwill for about $1800. Here are the specs:

AMD Mibility 64 bit 3400+ processor

1024 MB PC-3200 ram ATI mobility 9700 video processor 128 MB video ram 60 GB 7200 RPM hard drive

I was able to hack the video card to an Mobility FireGL T2 x 128. I now have realview capabilities!

Ship in a bottle benchmark on SWX 2005 SP0.1 is around 23 seconds.

It is fairly new, so I have not put it through the paces to fully test it with SolidWorks but so far so good.

Wayne

Hi Jim, >Recently i was interested myself in the subject and discoverd that the >computer giants do not pay much investment in seriuos workstation >laptops which will be appropriate for SW or many other CAD/CAM/CAE >applications -from what i managed to dig out, here are the results for >basic configuration which include a professional GC: >Dell Precision M60 - starts with 2,123 US$ >IBM ThinkPad T42p - starts with 3,000 US$ >HP Compaq mobile workstation nw8000 - starts with 1,925 US$ > >check also IBM ThinkPad T41p > >cheers, >Gil Alsberg > >> I am curious to know if anyone can recommend a good notebook computer >> for running SW2004. >> >> Also, any tips as to choosing the video card, minimum recommended RAM, >> processor type and speed, etc. >> >> Any help is greatly appreciated... >> >> Jim
Reply to
Wayne

We have 3 laptops here with ATI Mobility graphics cards - how did you manage to hack yours to a FireGL?

Merry :-)

Reply to
Merry Owen

I tried several different things for about a week, before I found the right combination. Check out

It is a Russian web site but they do have a forum in English. I found the instructions under the topic "Noobtweak with fast results for (all?) Radeon-FFGL-Users".

You have to download the FreeFireGL drivers which are already hacked with Rivatuner and download an additional driver. Remove the old driver with software called DriverCleaner, Install the FFGL driver and then overwrite some of the FFGL dll's with the dll's from the additional driver you downloads.

I do not want to publish the complete >We have 3 laptops here with ATI Mobility graphics cards - how did you manage

Reply to
Wayne