Laptop workstation for large assembly's

Did sombody test the HP NW8000 or Dell M70 or other heavy laptop's? what are the results or where can we find a benchmark of these systems ?

Reply to
3DCadworks

I have no benchmarks, but I do have nw8000 in use.... with 1,5Gig of RAM and with 1600x1200 display it outperforms all of my current workproviders desktop PC's (P4 2.8 with 1gig RAM and Quadro 980GXL)

no bad things to say about it... works like a charm.... I still would like to have 2gig of RAM... but 1,5 is quite OK...

...my CPU is M1.7....

Reply to
Kvick

Kvick, sounds good, Are you also using assembly's with a size of 20MB and drawings from 30 MB? And is it possible to use a "spaceball" on it ?

Reply to
3DCadworks

Kvick, sounds good, Are you also using assembly's with a size of 20MB and drawings from 30 MB? And is it possible to use a "spaceball" on it ?

Reply to
3DCadworks

"3DCadworks" wrote in news:1109149425.833932.62850 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

THe M70s aren't shipping until March (They're new, and we couldn't wait). The M60 we just got seems to do a good job. The major drawback being HD speed. Alienware's workstation laptop offers an internal RAID 0 array. I haven't heard of anyone who's used their systems for work though.

This is subjective though. I didn't get time to benchmark it before I had to turn it over.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Actually, they're not as far off as you might think. I ordered mine last week Wed. and its scheduled to ship out 2/28. So I'm hoping to have one in hand this time next week. I'll let you know...

Brenda

Reply to
customsolids

No benchmarks here either, but I have been using my new notebook from M-Tech for over a month. (this could be the `Alienware' system that somebody here referred to.) It's got an AMD 3700+ chip with a gb of ram ;60 gb HD at 7600 rpm and the ATI Radeon video card with 128mb. I love the 17" screen. I have a huge assembly that I have been working on with my desktop workstation. Every time I need to show it my customer, I copy it over to the notebook and cruise over there and show it to him. It's great for this sort of thing. The video is the weak link for assemblies of this size. (If I had the guts, I'd try the hack that's been discussed to convert it to a FireGL.)

I have also used it on small to moderate assemblies for extended periods while traveling, and have seen no problems at all with those. I am happy with it, but it may not be suitable for your use.

jk

Reply to
jk

Hard to say the Assembly / drawing size in MB's, since we run ecosqueeze every night to reduce the filesize 100-400%... but heres some statistic of quite normal assembly I work on... we do have much larger also, wich do work fine...

HP does have USB ports, so I cant see no obstacles using spaceball... newer used one tough...

------------------------------------ Stats: Total number of components 1846 Parts 1652 Unique parts 461

Reply to
Kvick

I don't see any different between M60 and M70. Accept for the video card and the processor. You can order the faster speed HD. They ve few option HD to choose.

Reply to
cheamc