2004 Crash to Desktop while Printing

Running SWKS 2004, SP1 under Windows 2000 Pro, SP4, I am repeatedly crashing to the desktop while attempting to print a part as seen in the current window.

I've tried with a variety of parts and the result is always the same consistent crash, when the view is set to HLR.

Shaded, Shaded with Edges and Shadows in Shaded modes print just fine, but Hidden Lines Removed apparently throws a wrench into the works. For the record, Hidden Lines Visible and Wireframe modes cause the same speedy crash.

Unfortunately, I was forced to export via Parasolids and then use SolidWorks 2003 to print the HLR image needed.

I'm eager to use the wealth of new capabilities in 2004; however, the various performance degradations and lacks in stability have caused me to stall the migration.

Remember when automotive quality was such that the commonplace advice was to never buy a car during the new model's first year of production? Waiting for the bugs to be worked out is always frustrating, especially when the software is in production release...

Per O. Hoel

Reply to
Per O. Hoel

Per,

Entertain us and try,.. Tools - Options - "Use Software OpenGL"

..

"Per O. Hoel" wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

check your drive space. not enough space for the spool file will make SW crash.

-nick e.

Reply to
Nick E.

I have had this problem as well. According to my VAR, it is supposed to be fixed in SP2.0.

Reply to
Jason

Paul,

For your entertainment please note that the use of Software OpenGL fixes the printing crash.

Although the workaround is interesting (and puzzling), I am not going to sacrifice the performance of Hardware OpenGL.

The question is: What has changed in 2004? SolidWorks 2003 has no such problems with the same graphics hardware and drivers...

Reply to
Per O. Hoel

Hey Per,

Yeah, sorry for that, man. Fun, huh!?

I don't know what changed but I've had on going crashes and just gave up and I resigned to software opengl for now. But for your print problem, it is puzzling and again it's just a workaround. So just turn software opengl on for printing only or add it to a macro, on/off?

..

"Per O. Hoel" wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador