surface tangent edges not showing in drawing

Does anyone know why surface tangent edges don't show consistently in drawings? Some appear, some don't. Rel. 2001.

Reply to
dakeb

: "dakeb" wrote : Does anyone know why surface tangent edges don't show consistently in : drawings? Some appear, some don't. Rel. 2001. : Drawing setup files come with a lot of options set to DEFAULT. It puzzled me a long time just what that meant of where those default values come from. But they come from the way the model is set (shaded, hidden, wireframe) when you bring in a view. If you have DEFAULT as option settings, you can buy yourself more consistency by giving them definite settings.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

: "dakeb" wrote : Does anyone know why surface tangent edges don't show consistently in : drawings? Some appear, some don't. Rel. 2001. : : My first comments were kind of hurried, leaving out a lot of particulars. Here are the ones I know of:

1) Problems with the display of object lines on drawings of surfaces begin with the model. The default settings of Pro/e give you, effectively, two display settings for surfaces ~ wireframe and shaded. Hidden line and no hidden line view modes still look like wireframe. In order to see hidden lines as grayed (or in drawings, as dashed), you have to set hlr_for_quilts to yes in config.pro. The display is additionally modified by setting fast_hlr to yes. Now, suddenly, all tangent edges are solid.

2) Another non-normal feature of surfaces is putting 'tangent' edges at patch boundaries where you'd never expect them. As long as the model is showing tangent edges as solid, you won't notice this. If you set both the above options for hlr back to no, you can see these tangent edges by going into the Environment and changing tangent edge display to phantom or dashed. I have some surface models that show dashed lines in the middle of the part. If tangent display were set to 'no' in the environment, these patches would disappear.

3) Let's try some additional display confusion with surfaces. Try setting display_silhouette_edges to no, put the display style to wireframe and see what it does to your display. Some edges drop out. Now, what if your drawing is set to Default for some of its options which take values from the model, things you might not even notice when you are looking at shaded models all day which aren't effected by the setting of display_silhouette_edges, nor of tangent edge display nor of the hlr settings. And, of course, you would screw yourself completely by setting the option, silhouettes, to 'no' since the surface model would disappear in any display mode besides shaded. Or you can come up with combinations of the above settings which would cause tangent edges and silhouettes disappear but hidden lines to show. 2D line art is only complicated by this variability of the model, especially surface models. And let's not even try to get into how all this effects the display of sectioned surfaces. That's another nightmare requiring two or three additional (and equally confusing) config.pro options.

Needless to say, Dave, I might have stumbled, in two posts, on a general answer to your question. But, sorry, the definitive answer still requires a lot of work from you.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Thanks for the ddetailed information. I've messed around with all these settings but the tangent edges still don't show in the drawing consistently. It seems to only affect a sectional view for some reason. The section cut does not pass through the surfaces, but the tangent edges of surfaces located beyond the cut don't appear. This surface is a blend between two curves. The edges of the surface that intersect with other surfaces are visible, just not the tangents.

Dave

Reply to
dakeb

particulars.

Environment

variability

consistently.

Strangely, in the section view only, the options for Quilt HLR in the Disp Mode menu are greyed out.

Reply to
dakeb

Just curious; are you talking about tangent edges or silhouette edge projections?

Dig thru Help. There are some limitations (which I don't remember off the top of my head) concerning section views and quilts. TPI ID125000 pertains also (simply says: make it a solid).

Reply to
Jeff Howard