Drawing Units vs Part Units

Myself being a newbie converted from ProE I don't understand the principle behind having to set up units in part/assemblies and then once again in the drawings. I have always created models in the past using ProE with all my unit/tolerance/precision values enbedded in the part.

I've done the same with a simple Solidworks part and now time to create the drawing. I imported the dimensions into the drawing and all my hard work of setting up the design unit intent in the part seem to be gone. It looks like I now have to go and recreate all my unit needs. This means making some units fractional, 2 pls or 3 pls decimal and some with or without tolerance.

Is there a setting I'm missing in my drawing document properties that import the dimensions as modeled in the part/assembly without the need to duplicate work efforts?

Reply to
krupnikas

I don't know of anything you are missing. Generally you model in whatever units you want, be they inch or metric, etc., and then when it comes to drawing time, you set the global setting to whatever is the most prevalent. Then individually modify any dims that you want to change from the global. To aid in that, look up Dimension Favorites.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Wayne,

I noticed that after altering the drawing properties units to include both decimal and fractions I was getting better results. To top that off if I uncheck using documents precision in the drawing it seems to stick with the model preferences as desired. I'm sure I need to tweek some settings here.

My main objective is that the model tolerences and decimal/fractional precision should always be utilized for documentation. Not everyone examines a drawing file for use in other assemblies. The model should contain all the relevent info.

Thanks for the guidence that led me to investigate many of the options located in the menus. I don't know why you would want to change precision or tolerance to a document that differs from the model, but I guess someone needs that function to incorporate it.

Reply to
krupnikas

I would say you need yet to set up your units in your drawing templates.

Drawings, parts, and assembly's all function indecently of each other with their own unit settings.

Jay

Reply to
Jay

...indecently...????? I know SW sometimes has issues, but I've never actually seen anything between them that makes me cover my eyes. Gross and disgusting, yes, but indecent, no. :-) (Maybe you meant independently.) :-) :-)

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

There are advantages to using separate precision in Drawings and in Parts, and you may wish to set up your templates accordingly. I set precision in Drawings to a default 3 decimal places (and fractions to

32), whereas in Parts (and also Assemblies) I set precision to at least 5 decimal places if not 8. The reason for the latter? Two, actually: 1) If I'm designing in fractional equivalents, which I find to be expedient at times, I can see the EXACT value represented in sketches rather than a rounded-off approximation. 2) I may want to Measure and be sure I'm not missing some spurious trailing decimal values out 6 or 7 or 8 places from the decimal point I don't need to change the Options (in the Measure dialog box) to set precision higher each time I measure something. This second point is often of more importance in Assemblies.

I can get both of these advantages without having to change default precision in Drawings by having the precision set separately.

(Just BTW, in the title block of my Drawing template I also set a value for fractional tolerance which will allow me to utilize a different default tolerance simply by changing a dimension to Fractional from Decimal . . . when I'm dealing in fractional equivalents. And that's one reason why sometimes I find it expedient to design in fractional equivalents.)

Mark 'Sporky' Staplet>

Reply to
Sporkman