SW2004 SP1.0 drawing dimension precision

I am now in the drawing stage and am having some issues.
I have my units set to mm, with the dual dim on inches-decimal. I can't get
the inches to display any precision other than 3 places. I can force it to round off fractions, but if I have it set to decimal it's always 3 places regardless of the setting. I have tried different units for the dual, and it's always 3 places - even angstroms. (Can you say BIG numbers?) Anyone else see this?
WT
Hey, how about someone else trying this for me - see if it's SP1.0, or something.
WT

get
yes there seems to be something wrong - my template is set to 2 places but a dimension will not update to other places when I use unit options to change it
i can get any desired precision using sp0
i'm setting under document properties, detailing, dimensions, precision.

Okay, I tried it, but you won't like this....
My "dualed" dimensions will not display other than TWO decimal places. I think it's a setting we're missing somewhere buddy. I'll keep poking around.
Richard
This seems to be working ok for me on SP1.0.
I can change it using the units in the document properties or the precision settings in the dimension properties (not from the PM).
--
Dale Dunn
Design Engineer

precision
I'm finding that I cannot change the dual units via the "units" dialog. If I use the "precision" dialog however, it does affect the "units" setting. Uhhh..did that make sense?
Try this...
Tools>Options>Document Properties>Units Set mm as primary, inches as dual Set all decimal places at 2
Tools>Options>Document Properties>Detailing>Dimensions>Precision Set everything to 2
Add model items (dims)
Now.. Tools>Options>Document Properties>Units Set mm to 3 decimal places Set inches to 3 decimal places
mm drawing dims update, inches do not
I'm thinking I've got too much time on my hands....
Richard
Yes, I forgot to mention that. You can change each dimension individually, just not with "Units." Sorry.
WT

individually,
you can still set under document properties, detailing, dimensions, precision.
I see what's happening. Apparently, the units page and the precision dialog are meant to be linked. If you change one, the other updates automatically. (Why is this in two places?). The link from the units page to the precision dialog for the fual units seems to be broken. It looks like it updates the other way.
I'd say do it from the precision dialog, and report the regression to the VAR.
--
Dale Dunn
Design Engineer

dialog
automatically.
precision
Wow. Seven posts on this issue and we've finally understood it. Kind of like walking around the block to get next door, but thanks Dale - you've explained the situation perfectly.
Richard
Thanks. If only I would've done that on all those exams...
--
Dale Dunn
Design Engineer

1) Double-click the offending dimensions 2) Click Precision button (bottom left of dialog box) 3) The upper 2 pulldowns are for Primary dimensions, and the lower 2 are for *dual* dimension precision...Easy as that.
TO make it Default: 1) Goto Tools\Options 2) Document Properties Tab 3) Select Dimensions at the left 4) Click Precision button (bottom dialog box) 5) The upper 2 pulldowns are for Primary dimensions, and the lower 2 are for *dual* dimension precision...Easy as that.
Works fine here. SW2004 sp1.0
Ken
yeah, i think we got that.
problem is, '04 now has settings for controlling dual precision under; tools, options, document properties, units
this is the option this discussion refers to

The only setting I see there is for which Units to show the dual dimensions in. There is no mention of what precision to apply to those Units. Setting the default precision is under Tools\Options\Document Properties\Dimensions\Precision button. Or you can set each dimension individually.
SW2004 sp1.0
Ken

ok, under document properties>units>dual units what is the decimal places button for? would this not be considered as precision?
btw, under document properties>units>length units it will change the precision of the primary units
kenneth b

Now that is wierd. The decimal places under document properties>units>length units and document properties>units>angular units seem to be linked to the same respective values for the dimension precision as under document properties>detailing>dimensions>precision. But the value for the dual units between the two locations are not linked. Any dimensions I put in the drawing, came in according to the dimension value precision setting under document properties>detailing>dimensions>precision, so the decimal places box under document properties>units>dual units seems to be useless?
Either way, the precision for the tolerance on any dimensions (length, dual, and angular) still had to be set under document properties>detailing>dimensions>precision.
I guess I was able to avoid that bug since the dimension values on our templates got set up at the document properties>detailing>dimensions>precision location, and any dimension changes I make (precision of the dimension value or tolerance), I make with a macro (that changes the dimension and tolerance precision values).
Thanks for clearing that up for me (hope I didn't sound like a jerk earlier), Ken Bolen
Wayne, Matt Lombard has some macros posted at his site to change the precision. I took them a step further. I've pasted my 3Place macro in below. I linked it to the number "3" on the keyboard. So all I do is select the dimension(s), and then hit 3. The precision changes to 3, and the alternate units precision changes to 4 if it's a metric drawing or 2 if it's an imperial drawing. The tolerance also updates to the same precision. Note the alternate unit and tolerance still have to be turned on/set for that dimension. I have a macro for 0Place, 1Place, 2Place, 3Place, and 4Place (you should be able to find the correct lines below to change in each macro), that I have linked to my 0, 1, 2, 3, & 4 keys. Only thing I don't like is that you have to pan the screen or do a refresh to get them to show up immediately. So usually I run one of the macros and the tap the MMB to make sure it updated the way I expected it too.
I also have one to switch to fractions if you're interested in that.
Enjoy, Ken Bolen
'****************************************************************************** ' 3Place.swb '****************************************************************************** Dim swApp As Object Dim Part As Object Dim SelMgr As Object Dim selCount As Integer Dim selType As Integer Dim retval As Variant Dim dimension As Object
'These definitions are consistent with type names defined in swconst.bas and swconst.h '*** swUserPreferenceIntegerValue *** Const swSelDIMENSIONS = 14 Const swUnitsLinear = 47 ' Millimeters=0, Inches=3 Sub main() Set swApp = CreateObject("SldWorks.Application") Set Part = swApp.ActiveDoc Dim MyVar001, MyVar002, MyVar003, MyVar004, MyVar005 As Integer MyVar005 = Part.GetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swUnitsLinear) If MyVar005 = 3 Then 'For Inch Units MyVar001 = 3 'Primary Precision (Inch) MyVar002 = 3 'Primary Tolerance (Inch) MyVar003 = 2 'Alternate Precision (Metric) MyVar004 = 2 'Alternate Tolerance (Metric) Else 'For Metric Units MyVar001 = 3 'Primary Precision (Metric) MyVar002 = 3 'Primary Tolerance (Metric) MyVar003 = 4 'Alternate Precision (Inch) MyVar004 = 4 'Alternate Tolerance (Inch) End If Set SelMgr = Part.SelectionManager() selCount = SelMgr.GetSelectedObjectCount() If (selCount > 0) Then Dim i As Integer For i = 1 To selCount selType = SelMgr.GetSelectedObjectType2(i) If (selType = swSelDIMENSIONS) Then Set dimension = SelMgr.GetSelectedObject3(i) Dim primaryPrec As Long Dim alternatePrec As Long Dim primaryTol As Long Dim alternateTol As Long retval = dimension.GetUseDocPrecision() primaryPrec = MyVar001 primaryTol = MyVar002 alternatePrec = MyVar003 alternateTol = MyVar004 retval = dimension.SetPrecision(False, primaryPrec, alternatePrec, primaryTol, alternateTol) 'line wrapped in newsgroup post End If Next End If End Sub