TIP: Shrink file size for sharing

I know a lot of you might already know this but it might be new stuff for some of you. I just did a test on one of my assemblies.

Original size (on disk) of the folder containing only this assembly (as well as the parts that make it up) is 23.8 Mb. I then performed Ecosqueeze (a wonderful little program that can be found at

on this folder . Make sure you check "Remove Solidworks preview image" as well as "Remove Solidworks display list" and start. Folder size shrank to

8.23 Mb.

After that, I compressed the folder using Winrar (which can be found at

From my experience Winrar usually compresses more that Winzip. Guess what... file size shrank to 2.22 Mb.

This could make your project much easier to share by e-mail...

Hope this helps a few

Pascal Dufour

Reply to
Pascal Dufour

Remember though if you are sharing a model with SW for tech support that doing this will remove data that SW uses to figure out what went wrong in a file.

"Pascal Dufour @cableamos.com>" I know a lot of you might already know this but it might be new

Corey Scheich

Thanks for pointing this out Corey,

This is something I didn't know.

Have a nice day

Pascal Dufour

"Corey Scheich" wrote in news:bql0up$241nir$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-200385.news.uni-berlin.de:

Reply to
Pascal Dufour

To bring a file size down, try extruding a box around all geometry. Then save it. Or suppress all features. Those 2 options will bring the file down and you won't lose the important data.

Regards, Scott

"Pascal Dufour @cableamos.com>" Thanks for pointing this out Corey,

Reply to
Scott

FYI - thats sort of what ecosqueeze does, without extra geometry (the box) to confuse people downstream. The big part of the file is the 'display list, which is that 3-D preview that allows you to see the model in the SWx viewer. Extruding a box makes for a simple display list=small size. Ecosqueeze just deletes the display list outright. Note: either way, your image in the viewer is munged.

But your point is well taken - if you have to share with SWx, the box will theoretically retain all thedata they need to save a corrupt file. That is, if you can open the file to extrude the box in the first place!

Reply to
Edward T Eaton