units conversion - holes don't work!

Guys,

I am modelling a part in inches, and this part has tapped holes sized

2-56unc. Now I want to convert the units to metric to fit into my assembly. Trouble is the holes fail. Is this because the holes are 2-56unc? Why can't I have 2-56unc holes in a metric model? Any ideas?

Dave

Reply to
dakeb

I got it half working now. Seems it lost the reference to a hole axis during the units conversion. I redefined it, and can now see some lines of the hole (not all) in wireframe in the correct location, but in shaded mode the hole surfaces disappear and I can only see the axis. This has to be a bug. Release 2001 date code 2002480.

Reply to
dakeb

Check your accuracy, you may need to go much smaller than the default, This worked for me when I had a similar problem.

Reply to
Jim Leyritz

I don't think that the RELATIVE accuracy should depend on the units of measure.

//sorry for the rant, but here goes...

I don't understand WHY allowing the use of mixed-unit dimensions for parts / assemblies is such a problem. Does anyone know if other 'major' systems CATIA, UG, SDRC, etc... have this issue.

SW for example, can work in almost any mixed mode you choose. My favorite example was an instance where all of the customer designs, drawings had to be in mm,kg, etc...but all of the internal die making docs were in inches,lbs. NO PROBLEMS. Changing units at the drawing level was very easy. I couldn't imagine doing the same in Pro-E without a lot more work.

If I am using metric fasteners in and inch unit model, I would sure like to define the hole required as 6.0mm vs. .236 (inches) and have the system understand what 'mm' means. Much better 'design intent'.

// there, I feel better now...

I bring this up only because we are trying to implement uniform 'shrink' in our part designs without paying through the nose for Pro-Mold design. We don't use any of the added features of mold design other than shrink (as a model tree feature), and 'radiate' surface.

Jim Leyritz wrote:

Reply to
Chris Gosnell

I don't do it very often but we have a mapkey for changing a drawing to meteric. I think it just loads a different drawing DTL file and refreshes.

Chris

Reply to
Anonymous

Thanks for the idea.

BTW, will this automagically update a drawing(?) to the different units, or will this work only for any additional dims created. What about 'shown' model dims?

wrote:

Reply to
Chris Gosnell