Making Holes match ?

Something funny is happening to me. I have a case with a lid on it and when trying to make the hole in the lid to mount to the case I can't get the hole in the case to show, I want the lid hole to reference the case holes. The case is a weldment which is then machined, so I have two configurations, my weldment and the other is machined. The machined config is basically the weldment with all Machining opts done on it. I try an do all my face milling, taping and line boaring in the assembly not the specific part of the weldment. I created the lid in the assembly and when I try to make the holes and follow the liner pattern it won't show the liner pattern that was created in the assembly. If I make a linear pattern in the lid part I can't select the holes that I don't want? What is going on? What am I missing?

Nathan

Reply to
Nathan Feculak

configurations,

Reply to
Nathan Feculak

Are the holes in the case produced as a master and then a pattern? If so, can you see the master hole in the case? Can you then do the same in the lid by making the master hole, defined from the case master, and then use the other pattern off the other one?

If the holes are discreet, you should be able to show the sketches (make sure your master "show sketches" is turned on) and then lock to those.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Yes I am using the master then pattern. I can see the master hole but not the pattern when I have the Lid open and editing the part. What do you mean by "defined from the case master" How do I use the other pattern off the other one?

Reply to
Nathan Feculak

I think the problem you are running into has to do with adding the holes at the assembly level. If you want the holes to show up in a detail of the part you have to hit the edit part button and add your sketch and cut extrude from the assembly. This will add the holes at the partlevel, yet they will still reference the assembly. If you add holes at the assembly level with out hitting the edit part tool you are essencially doing a cut operation after assembly which is why they don't show up at the part level.

Clear as mud?

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

I don't think he wants them in the part level - they are machined into a wlmt.

If he edits the lid in-context of the assy, and the holes have been put into the assy, I would think they would show up and be usable.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

When you put in a feature pattern, such as a pattern of holes, you can later use that to put in bolts. When inserting a pattern for the bolts, choose the derived option, rather than defining your own. That way as the holes change, so will the bolts.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Try putting the master hole-driving geometry at the top-assembly-level. Then drive the holes off each component from the geometry on the top level.

If the holes on your weldment are assembly cuts, they may be getting lost at the next level up.

Reply to
TheTick

If you want to add the holes at the assembly level, yet have them appear at the part level, you can use the hole wizard and select from the 'Hole Series' tab.

Merry :-)

Reply to
Merry Owen