Equation units

Is there a way to have an equation mix units.

For example, my model units are in inches. But I want an equation to be something like "D1@Sketch1" = "D2@Sketch1" + .003mm.

I tried the exact example above. But SW wasn't very happy about it. I know this sort of thing can be done within a dimension modify box.

I realize that it would be just as simple to convert the .003mm to inch units. But, there is a reason why I would prefer it to show up as metric units in the equation. Any other ideas?

Reply to
Seth Renigar

As a solution then, how about "D1@Sketch1" = "D2@Sketch1" + .003/25.4'mm. If you edit the equation, it shows up like what you see here. If you look at it in the equation box, the mm shows up on the far RH side. It's the best I can think of off hand. By the way, you realize that .003mm is a pretty small number, right? :-)

WT

"Seth Renigar" wrote in message news:yIm5g.24179$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.southeast.rr.com...

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

A comment is the best I have come up with also. Unless someone comes up with a better solution, that is what I am going with.

And yes, I do realize that .003mm is "fairly" small ;-). But these are the type of tolerances that we deal with on a regular basis. Actually, a few of the jobs we deal with from one of our customers have tolerances half of that number and even less. We're talking about nearing the sub-micron level.... Can't tell you the actual product. But I can tell you that it is in the fiber-optics industry. There is essentially "no room for error" in that industry.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

And this will work well until you change the model units to mm. Seems like equations should be sensitive to units provided, otheriwise any constants in an equation could cause real problems.

Reply to
TOP

see the thread below (from 2003), where Jerry Steiger recommends an excellent solution to the problem of units in equations

"Seth Renigar" wrote in message news:yIm5g.24179$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.southeast.rr.com...

Reply to
Michael