Where is an equation used?

I'm probably missing something simple, but, is there any easy way to find out where an equation is used within a part similar to the child/ parent for a feature? SW adds equations (well, actually links) whenever certain tools are used and doesn't seem to delete them when the feature is deleted. Makes for a messy file. For example, use a sketch chamfer in an extrusion, delete the extrusion, and a link is left for each chamfer. I'd like to clean up my files, but opening each sketch and searching for the linked dimensions to see if they still exist is hit and miss at best and the worst part is, if you delete and equation or link that is in use, SW doesn't complain or warn you, just breaks the link and the feature that you expect to update doesn't.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Reply to
ed_1001

Ok, I must be slow. How does this show where an equation or link is used?

Reply to
ed_1001

I know that if you have an equation driving a dimension then that dimension will have a Sigma symbol next to it and you won't be able to edit that dimension.

If you go to Tools > Equations then you can see which dimensions (or other) are being driven. It will tell you something like this:

"D2@Sketch10" = "D1@Sketch10" * 2

Now you can go find Sketch10 and then the D2 dimension.

I don't quite understand the sketch chamfer on an extrude. I tried both a sketch chamfer and feature chamfer and couldn't find an equation or link being used anywhere.

Steve O

Reply to
SteveO

This is what I did. Open a new part. Create a 2D sketch of a rectangle (size is unimportant). Go to 'Tools', 'Sketch Tools', Chamfer'. Put a chamfer on any corner. Close the sketch. Go to 'Tools', 'Equations'. You should see a linked dimension like "D1"=0.393701in. My question is, if you have a large file (say 1000+ features), how do you know where the link/equation is used?

Reply to
ed_1001

I see what you mean. It actually appears to be a bug, or, at the least, inconsistant ( with the rest of SW ) behavior. As a work around..... you can select each linked equation and attempt to delete it. If its currently in use, you'll get a bitch box stating so. If its not, it will delete. A bit time consuming, but does clean up your file.

Reply to
Brian

Ed - upgrade to 2007 and you won't see that anymore. I just tried it in 06 and got the same goofy equation you did. 2007 doesn't do that.

Steve O

Reply to
SteveO