Am I missing something???

Ignoramus31358

That it is being sold as furniture? Art

Reply to
Artemus

I think they're trying to call it art ...Art .

Reply to
Snag

ya beat me to it!

Reply to
Dennis

The chance to sell some "found art" for big bucks? There's some parable about the collapse of western civilization buried in there, somehow.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I think that he is presenting it as an example of "found art", not as a welding mask to be used. Note that he also has a link to an art gallery. He would probably be insulted if someone bought it to weld with. :-)

"deep distressed green with nice rivet details" certainly does not sound like a description aimed at someone who intended to *use* it. It may even be permanently attached to the rod shown under it as a stand.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

"Ignoramus31358" wrote in message news:NJidnT7bA_ic2s3QnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

My guess is he's hoping P.T. Barnum is right. It shows some rough similarity with the famous scifi robot Gort in "The Day the Earth Stood Still".

There are many mask collectors who go beyond the ethnographic examples seen in Anthropological museums. Add to that the "cosplay "(costume play) crowd and the current fascination for "steampunk art" (try Google images) and you have an inventory of some of the avenues he might hope are productive.

Personally, it looks like a regular, tired welding helmet to me. If it showed the chance artistic alterations that might occur if it were dredged out of a Superfund sludge pit or mine leach pond, then it might have more tingles. As it is, best of luck, most of the time.

To that yawning appreciation, I will add that this: the daring (read "nutty") price may be a positive for him. If you ever look at comparitive book prices for the same title, same makeup, same condition on, say,

, you will often find a spread of prices topped by some outrageously high outlier. Occasionally, someone will spring for the exorbitant volume merely on the theory that the stratospheric price_must_ mean it is better than others similarly described. Usually, Mr. Exclusive's Rarities orders the book drop shipped from a competitor lower down on the bookstore list. The seller doesn't have the book, he just lists it and rakes in the money. Barnum bunkum at its best.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

Ed, the only plus of this mask that I see, is that it is riveted and represents steampunk style. I may pay $3 for it at a garage sale, as opposed to my customary $1.

Ignoramus5310

I31358:

You and me both, plus I've got a few to sell you. And I'll throw in the matching bolts in my neck if you take all the helmets...no stand included for them though. It's kinda attached at the shoulders.

If you haven't Google imaged "steampunk art" and skimmed a few of the better websites, the higher level of that stuff can be very amusing. It's all based around something like fusing the Victorian Period and futurististic mechanisms. If you're looking for a zippy ray gun mockup, there's no background check.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

Well, if you have a super old riveted mask, I would be interested!

Ed, I would really like to retire, and when I do so, I would really like to make some steampunk art.

Ignoramus908

I##:

Parting the steaming mists and staring into the blown-glass orb mounted in the bronze and silver sconce ornamented with chrome doodads in front of me, I see you will be successfull, make millions, kopeks, money even.

When you are famous and beyond rich, we will all be proud to say we knew you when...and always enjoyed free lunch at your studio.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey I

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

I:

First, let me ask a simple question. You are Ignoramus0-nth power?

Next, I called and the vintage welding helmets are'nt riveted. By happenstance, I also had a conversation with a friend who does eBay. They got back to me and said you are not looking for an item they see everyday. Was this something of familiar notice to you way, way back East?

But if you do have a lot of surplus but nifty hardware around the shop you may want to jump on steampunk architecture:

Great signage that isn't subject to signage regulation. I like it.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey