Probably quite a simple challenge

The storage box in my yard locks with a Master (or Master-type) padlock. I've lost the key. The storage box is just a rubbermaid thing, which I've been able to get into while leaving the lock attached (clearly there's no need for a lock on this baby.)

So I don't really want to pay for a locksmith to come out and use bolt cutters to cut the lock off something I already have access to.

Instead, I'd like to pick the lock. At least, I'd like to try.

Can someone recommend which tools I should get and what material I should read to give this a go?

Again, this is my lock on my storage container in my yard next to my house and I can already get inside it to get my stuff. So any ethical issues would involve helping me get knowledge in general and not the specifics of my getting into this particular unit.

Thanks.

Reply to
Relaxification

Cut the plastic part that the shackle goes through

No problem. Can't say I blame you. Go to Home Depot and rent a set of bolt cutters for a few bucks.

Ahh. There it is.

Well you could get a set of picks (which in turn could get you 3-5, just for possession). And by the way, not being a locksmith, you'll pay double to triple what a bona-fide locksmith will pay because the people who will sell to anybody, will gouge you because they usually deal with people who want them (lock picks) for less than honorable reasons. (Not saying you do).

As far as what to read, you might want to start with this group's FAQ (I'm sure someone knows and can post the URL).

Oh! Well why didn't you say so?!

Sorry, but we have no way of knowing that for sure other than your word. And we really don't know you that well.

No flame intended but we (most of us) simply won't give that kind of information out. Not to say for a moment that you can't find that same information countless other places on the internet. Just not here.

Want to know how to fix your lock? Want to know what is the best lock to buy for your particular application? Want to know how to install that deadbolt you bought at Home Depot? just ask and a multitude of very helpful individuals will chime in (usually with as many different opinions).

Ask us how to circumvent someone's security? Sorry. Can't do it.

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

Master-type)

rubbermaid

lock

baby.)

and use bolt

access to.

use the bolt cutters yourself !

try.

material I

next to my

any ethical

and not the

g'day

Reply to
Key

Had you bothered to Google on the word lockpicking you would have gotten roughly 37,000 results.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Opening instructions not given on this forum.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I did, actually. Then I posted a reasonable question on this newsgroup. Had you bothered to read it carefully you would have discovered that it was reasonable and that it addressed the concerns so often voiced in this group - issues of ownership, the right to open a lock, etc.

My interest was simply to see if I could do it. It appears, however, that if I did figure it out I would be joining the ranks of people like you, a cabal with whom I would rather not be associated.

Reply to
Relaxification

Had you searched as you say you would have already found far more than you could ever read in two lifetimes and wouldn't be asking here.

Had you bothered to read it carefully you would have

And?? Oh never mind I see you are a google troll posting from a hotmail address surprise surprise.

Yet you responded.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Had you bothered to read it carefully you would have

How did you address "ownership"? By telling us it's yours. How, again, does that establish ownership? Because you said so? Sorry.

Let me ask you this.... If I called a locksmith out to _your_ car or house and asked him to open it and make me a set of keys, should he do it just because I told him it was mine?

Like I said... _Saying_ it's yours does not establish ownership.

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

I wasn't actually looking for instructions on how to pick the lock from anyone here. I was looking for advice on how to start. Aargh. Never mind.

I just cut the plastic and melted it back together.

Reply to
Relaxification

Try a good quality hair dryer and some candle wax, ...... works for me !

Reply to
Steve Paris

A lockpick set (may be illegal for you to possess depending on local laws)

Go to

and search for "lockpicking"

You'll get nothing more from this ng on this matter. I've given you all the direction you need.

Reply to
Aegis

Yes, I responded. Trolls don't respond.

I still maintain I asked a reasonable question and was treated like a non-virgin at a Star Trek convention. I was just asking for advice on where to start - there's so much information out there I thought turning to the "experts" might shorten things a bit.

As I've already posted, it doesn't matter anyway. I cut the plastic.

And aren't you writing from a fake aol account? How is that superior to a hotmail account?

The sense of superiority in here is ridiculous!

Reply to
Relaxification

ROFLOL On what planet might that be???? Trolls almost ALWAYS respond.

I have no idea what that means. Oh ok I get it.

There was at least one good resource on the first page of results from that Google search you seem to indicate you did.

Umm no it isn't a fake aol account, actually.

I haven't given you any attitude of superiority. I just have little patience for people who come here and ask questions to which they can find the answer themselves in about 30 seconds of searching. Go to almost any newsgroup and ask something upon which a wealth of information is already at your fingertips and wait for the flames to roll in. The FAQ's alone for this group would have given you numerous sources of information.

Google FAQ alt.locksmithing

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

There ya go!