Can you set model units in family tables?

Just wondering if anyone has done this. I have a bushing model that varies from ID and length, but it is also available as a purchased component in inch and metric dimensions. I would like to make a family table with the first level being inch or metric then the sub tables being the ID/length of that part. I saw you can add mp_density to the family table, but didnt find anything in the PTC site about how to change units, if it is possible. Any ideas?

Reply to
Stu

The answer to the subject of the post ("Can you set model units in a family table?") is no, you can not. "Edit>Setup>Units" is the only hook the program provides (outside of possibly Pro/TOOLKIT or J-link) to these values. Even if you could copy/report them, you could not change them. You mighrt be able to get something like mp_density for model units, but, like mp_density, it'll be a one way, non-associative snapshot of a parameter's value. You will not be able to change model units from a parameter report. All of 'Edit>Setup' lags behind parametrically, associatively, interactively.

Reply to
David Janes

Actually, this might help, though I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do. Parameters and relations recently gained units awareness, so that, if you switched units, they'd still work. So, when you do, for example, WEIGHT=PRO_MP_MASS or WEIGHT=3, you can suffix it with units, g, oz, kg, etc. So, I suppose your family table could be given some sensitivity to units with units sensitive parameters. It's still only one way and pretty indirect, but might help distinguish one branch from the other. Kludgy workarounds brought to you by Pro/e, the capital of the workaound nation.

Reply to
David Janes

Well, what I wanted to do is, a bronze straight shoulder bushing is available in metric and inch. ie 19mm bore X25mm long, or .75dia X

1inch long. in the design I want to retreive 1 part and select whether its inch or metric ,then the size of it,and have all the relevant info set, . measurment units, mass prop, table values entered directly from catalog values, instead of converting inch dim to metric or vice-versa... \ as it stands now, I'll have to make 2 parts of the same bushing., 1 in inch, the other in metric.
Reply to
Stu

I think you're right: there's no parameter or function, that I know of, that'll let you set a model to two different systems of units and store all those values in both systems simultaneously. And that's essentially what you'd be asking it to do. At best, you get conversions, such as the one you get when you do dual dimensioning: 1"=25.4mm or 10mm=.3937in. or some variant. I suppose you could still fake it out this way: for example, you set a true/false parameter to let you choose inch or metric. Then you get US Customary converted to ISO Metric or vice versa. But about 50/50 you'd get some unnatural kludge in either system. I mean, what designer, used to working in metric, would ever do 25.4mm or what US designer would ever come up with .3937 for a dimension. These are obvious conversions and unnatural to their own system's dimensioning schemes. And I don't think that's what you want. You want a table that'll give you .5" or 12mm, no translations or kludges. I'd like to be wrong, but I don't think you can do table in both units because it would mean that the part was in both units.

Reply to
David Janes