design tables in assemblies controlling parts?

I have a question in regards to design tables in assemblies... I am trying to control part dimensions in a design table i have created at the assembly level... I was able to get the assembly to flip the configurations on the part in the assembly design table but ultimately really want to control dimensions of parts inside my assembly design table... I have talked to my reseller but he says it is not possible... I am being stubborn and think it should work... I would think that all you would have to do is add something to the end of your dimension name saying it came from thus and such part... What we are trying to accomplish is a quoting tool where all you gotta do is tweak some numbers in (1) design table and boom, you gotta part that can be used for quoting... These parts would be used only be used in this situation and would be in its own folder so it wont be referenced back to any other assemblies we have... Please let me know your thoughts and ideas on this... thanks....

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

You could use the assy DT to control assembly level types of things, such as sketches or planes and use those to control the parts in context. Generally speaking, it's not a great idea to mix incontext techniques with configurations.

On the other hand you could use some VBA programming to access the part dims. There's an example of this on my website, in the SWParts area, the one that looks like a conveyor.

Matt

Reply to
matt

matt, i will definitely take a look at your assembly.... I am aware that what i am trying to do is realllllly bad practice and i will probably get voted off the solidworks island for it... We are trying to create a quotation device that anybody could use, even the solidworks illiterate... If we can get an excel spreadsheet that you can just plug the numbers in you want to define your tool and get a drawing from that, that is ultimately what i am goin for.... thanks again...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

It just so happens that's exactly what the model on my site does. It calls up an excel spreadsheet in an assembly, and you fill in boxes, it calculates stuff and changes model dimensions.

Have you looked at DriveWorks? It does something similar. RuleStream too, but about 10x the price.

Matt

Reply to
matt

Nope, i havent looked at those (2) softwares.... The problem i am running into is that i dont know VB... I have yet to learn it and am unsure as to how hard it would be to do what i want it to do... How hard was it to code that conveyor? please let me know...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Heard a rumour that a cut down version of one of those 2 will be included in SWX2006 in the final release -- could be wrong

Reply to
I have to remain anonymous

I know a little VB, but not much really. All the code is there, and it's truly pretty simple. You can just copy what's there.

Reply to
matt

Why not look into configurator software? It does just what you want and perhaps makes it a lot easier.

Reply to
TOP

i would look into the software but i would only use it in one or 2 instances past that we probably wouldnt use it all that much... Are there any free congifurator softwares or demo's i could tryout... that would be the best scenario if we were to use one... I will try to copy and past the VB code and see what i can come up with... Thanks....

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Matt... i am hacking around with your VB script and it is working, just not really well... we are working in metric and when i fill in my cells to be say 60mm, it changes my part model to 60,000mm in diameter... Do you know by chance what is making this thing go so nuts? please let me know...

Reply to
Jeff

Well, SW works in meters by default. All you would have to do is add a "/1000" to the appropriate place in the code

Reply to
matt

One more quick question... how do you control a parts configuration with inside the VB? thanks for all your help....

Reply to
Jeff

OK, I think everyone is missing a solution.

Create your parts via design tables then once you have an assembly design table complete, link those cells in the part design table to the assembly design table. This can all be done with just excel, no VB!

You would be required to open all part design tables that the assembly design table updates.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich

Keith.... What you are suggesting does make some sense... i do have a question so i better understand your suggestion.... How do you link the cells between (2) separate design tables/spreadsheets? i have only seen solidworks work off of one excel spreadsheet... please let me know... thanks again...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

When editing a cell in the part spreadsheet (design table), enter a equals sign '=" or a plus '+', then switch to the assembly spreadsheet and click any cell, then press enter to finish the link.

Excel will complete the link format automatically for you in the design spreadsheet, so you can view that cells formula to learn the way to manually type it in if ever needed.

You can also pull down the edit menu, then links... to manage the associated linked files from either file.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich