library parts and removing design tables

We have a library of bought parts like fasteners and even bearing which have design tables associated with their models. We don't want to send our entire library to a customer that has requested all of the 3d models and drawings for a specific project. When you open an assembly and then open the bought/library part and save off a copy in a new location (but don't check the box save as copy) the assembly is now linked to a new file but the design table is still linked to the original stand alone excel file in our library. My question is does anyone know how to sever the link or an easy way to re-embed the excel file to the new SW file without the hassle of copying the excel file to new location and re-linking or going through a bunch of steps in solid works? The bought parts have a bunch of configurations and more than one configuration might be used in the assembly file.

Reply to
Paul Youtsey

Normally you open your assy. Then go to File/Find References and click on Copy Files. This will make a copy of everything needed for that assy. Like a Pack & Go.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

True. However if I understand Paul's post correctly, the library parts are using external design tables ("link to file" option in the DT feature properties). If this is the case, I doubt the find reference and copy method will get the external Excel files, much less keep them associated to the correct part.

I think the solution is to have ALL of your library parts use embedded design table to start with. This would be easy enough to do, however a little time consuming because it would have to be done to every part in the library one at a time.

To do this to your library parts: open the part, right click on the design table, uncheck "link to file". This will embed the design table into the part itself. Now, wherever the part goes, the design table will always be with it. The only disadvantage is that your SW file size will probably increase.

This also hold true for assembly design tables as well.

Reply to
Seth Renigar