Myford Super 7 half-nut problem and other parts question

I got a leadscrew nut assembly (from Myford) for my Super7 and it does not fit (It's not even close). The dovetails at the back of the half-nuts are a completely different pitch than on my machine so I can't slide the nuts into my apron. Also, the nut inside appears to be a smaller diameter than my leadscrew (my leadscrew is about 0.75 inches in diameter). Is there more than one size for this part? My machine has a quick-change gearbox and I may not have told them that when I ordered. Would that matter? If anyone has a manual, the part Myford sent me is supposedly A1975/3ACC. This is the part that does not fit my machine.

Another part I ordered is the cloth wick that oils the spindle and a spring that appears to go in behind it (My machine does not have the glass oilers). The spring they sent is too large and doesn't fit into the hole (where the oil cup screws into the headstock). Again for those with documentation, the spring part is A3611/1. The part number matches my manual but the spring doesn't fit. I hope the answer is

*NOT* that the spring somehow slides in from the back and I have to remove the spindle bearing to install it.

Anyway I have asked Myford these questions, but the last time I had questions, this group was much faster in responding than the factory. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Len S

If you look at one of the download PDF's on the link below you will see the various popular replacements parts for the 7 series machines I dont know the exact answer to your half nut problem but there might be a difference between the aprons of S7's with power X feed and others. There was a change to apron design after machine SK108891 [ so the Ian bradley manual shows. Did you tell them your machine type & number when ordering.? sometimes the ladies at myford dont ask and are not aware of the different machine types. getting through to someone in the know in the shop is like getting through to the pope! but persevere.

Again looking at the Bradley book the Wick oiler is accessed via a hole that runs from 7 oclock bottom left of the headstock when looking at it from the tail stock. This I think means lifting of the headstock completely! The oiler feed passage from the cup runs from 9 oclock to the top of the oiler passage above. The oiler wick passage seems to be a bigger diameter than the oil feed passage

Mike D

Another part I ordered is the cloth wick that oils the spindle and a spring that appears to go in behind it (My machine does not have the glass oilers). The spring they sent is too large and doesn't fit into the hole (where the oil cup screws into the headstock). Again for those with documentation, the spring part is A3611/1. The part number matches my manual but the spring doesn't fit. I hope the answer is

*NOT* that the spring somehow slides in from the back and I have to remove the spindle bearing to install it.

Anyway I have asked Myford these questions, but the last time I had questions, this group was much faster in responding than the factory. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Mike D

Sorry I omitted the link

Another part I ordered is the cloth wick that oils the spindle and a spring that appears to go in behind it (My machine does not have the glass oilers). The spring they sent is too large and doesn't fit into the hole (where the oil cup screws into the headstock). Again for those with documentation, the spring part is A3611/1. The part number matches my manual but the spring doesn't fit. I hope the answer is

*NOT* that the spring somehow slides in from the back and I have to remove the spindle bearing to install it.

Anyway I have asked Myford these questions, but the last time I had questions, this group was much faster in responding than the factory. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Mike D

Len

-sounds like a simple c*ck-up by Myfords - all too common it seems. ML7s used a smaller lead screw (5/8 inch versus 3/4 inch)up to about

1973. After that they used the same parts as the Super 7. Sounds like you've been sent the early ML7 half-nuts. The part number you give is the right one for the pre-power cross feed Super 7. It doesn't change if you have a QC box fitted.

Can't help on the spring - my own early Super 7 has the drip feed oiler.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Crossfield

Len I can not help with the half-nut problem.

However I have changed my felt wick and spring. You do it when the spindle is out. A task not to be undertaken lightly. I did mine when I had to replace the drive belt. Myford do an excellent Laminated Service Call Sheet (part no. 82020) which describes how to remove, replace and adjust the spindle and its bearings. If you look at the diagram in Bradley's book, you should be able to see that the spring goes in from the top so that it has a smaller diameter face to act against and keep the felt pressed against the spindle.

Best of luck

Don Rutherford

Reply to
Don Rutherford

Len If you havent got the " Bradley book" I can scan the page referred to below & email it if you want let me know -remove no spam from ID

Mike D

However I have changed my felt wick and spring. You do it when the spindle is out. A task not to be undertaken lightly. I did mine when I had to replace the drive belt. Myford do an excellent Laminated Service Call Sheet (part no. 82020) which describes how to remove, replace and adjust the spindle and its bearings. If you look at the diagram in Bradley's book, you should be able to see that the spring goes in from the top so that it has a smaller diameter face to act against and keep the felt pressed against the spindle.

Best of luck

Don Rutherford

Reply to
Mike D

Hi Len, I can't confirm the leadscrew issue as I have a ML7R but this machine does have a S7 headstock and your worst fears have been realised. You have to remove the mandrel, insert the spring and felt pad then re-fit the mandrel.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks to all for the information. I do have the Bradley book (somewhere around here). I got a response from Myford to return the halfnuts. I think I'll take some photos of what I have vs. what they sent me to try and explain the situation to them in more detail.

Another question about the spring and wick: I assumed that when I unscrewed the headstock oiler fitting (the right angle one with the "toilet seat" top) and DID NOT see a spring and wick, that my machine didn't have one. Now it occurs to me that maybe there IS one in there, but it can't be seen from the outside. It that the case?

Reply to
Len S

Len,

I don't believe you can see the wick or spring from the oiler hole. You might be able to feel some evidence of it by poking with a pin or piece of wire.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Len There is more than one " bradley Book", The one with the picture I referred to is the Myford series 7 manual, see page 30

looking at the picture the horizontal hole is about 2-3 inches long and ends in the semi vertical "wick" passage - about half way up. the picture shows a spring filing the passage with a wick inside it. you might feel that as Bob M suggests if you poke about

Mike D