Myford Super 7 backgear removal

I have been changing the secondary belt on my Super 7. Took the opportunity to clean out the appalling mess in the headstock. Found 7 peanuts. Yes, peanuts. We get mice and some enterprising little sould must have though it was a good place to stash some food. A while back, I found a little pile under the tailstock.

But I digress..

While it was all in bits, I thought I would remove the backgear from the headstock to give it a thorough clean. Damned if I can work out how to get it free. There must be a screw or rod that sits in a slot in the backgear actuating shaft but I can't see the end of it. Is it under the headstock? Or am I missing summat obvious ... again.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Harrison

.Peter, I am unsure of where you are at Myford wise but there are a series of tiny grub screws which are more apparent looking at the job from the rear. This may be what you are looking for. I had to make a new rod and discoverd what was keeping the lot from coming apart. Perhaps joining Yahoo My Myford group will give you the opportunity to get the manual. I put the older ML stuff on file there and know that stuff relevant was there.

Regarding the rest of the topic, my wife informs me that Northumberland is culling grey squirrels. One enterprising restaurateur is cooking them. To keep within the spirit of the law he has added 'May contain nuts'

I hope that the MyMyford advice will help

Cheers

Norman

Reply to
ravensworth2674

My Manual shows two 2BA grub screws in the operating lever ( item 53). Have you removed these?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Yes. I can get the operating lever off. The drawings in the manual clearly sho that there is a groove cut in the eccentric shaft and a retaining screw that prevents the eccentric from being removed. On the iner end is a rdisk that screws into the end of the sfat to kee p the gears on.

I just feel a bit silly for not being able to locate the retaining screw.

I shall go and have another look in a bit.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Harrison

Pete, Have a dig around in the inevitable swarf that will have collected in the upper detent hole for the back gear lever. Remove the slotted screw and I reckon the shaft will come out. Mine is very tight and I'll need to find a full width screwdriver before I attempt to remove mine. You might want to put some drips of penetrating oil down there to ease things.

Good luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Ah - got it now.

I had cleaned the detent holes out and even given them a blast of compressed air. Both holes looked to have plain bottoms so I discounted them. Armed now with a bit more determination, I poked in the upper one with a dental pick and removed a very neat, single piece of clean shiny swarf that had almost completely covered to bottom of the hole. Sure enough there is a slotted screw head under there.

I haven't tried to undo it tonight. It may appear tight because, on the end of the headstock is a Socket Set Screw (H26), partially obscured by the backgear lever, that looks like it bears on the Eccentric Retaining Screw (H71)

Many thanks

Pete

Reply to
Peter Harrison

No. That grub screw allows access to skewer the felt wiper during spindle assembly. See the instructions in the manual on changing the headstock belt (p34 in mine) for more detail.

Reply to
Charles Lamont

There are two Socket Set Screws on the chuck end of the headstock. The one nearest the spindle is part number H70 and, as you say, allows access to the oil wick. The one I mean is hidden behind the Backgear Selector. In this picture

you can see the top one where I have poked a cocktail stick to retain the oil wick. Draw an imaginary line between the upper detent of the backgear lever and the middle of the end of the eccentric, and the grub screw I mean is on that line, just behind the lever. Before I cleaned it all up, I thought it was just another lump of grot.

Typically, these screws are not the same size. H70 is a 1/4" BSF and H26 is 2BA. How very Myford. I was at the open day recently and was struck first by the knowledge of the guys who do the rebuilds. They can identify exactly every part, where it goes and every tip and wrinkle associated with it. One claims to be able to tell you who finished fitting your cross slide by looking at the scraper marks.

The other thing that struck me was that, even with the bed number, the stores chap managed to give me the wrong gib screws. Some are 2BA, some are M5.

Reply to
Peter Harrison