Myford Super 7

I have recently bought a Myford Super 7; it is in great condition. I have stripped and reassembled it. My problem is that when I can a cut in mild steel I end up with ridges in the metal. I have tried varying the speed of cut, depth, cutter type, height etc to no avail. I have machined a piece of brass but without the same problem. I have adjusted the saddle and the cross slide so that they move more freely. The is no placy in the saddle or the headstock bearing.

Anyone any ideas.

Regards

Humph

Reply to
humph

Get some free cutting mild steel.

Use a tool with a slight radius on the tip instead of a point.

Ensure a sharp tool and appropriate geometry of same.

Use HSS tools, keep them sharp.

If the problem went away when machining brass, dropkick the steel bar into the weeds in the alley behind the house, and refer to the first line. Life is too short to dick around trying to get a good finish on scrap metal.

Some mild steel is just plain miserable to get a decent finish on. It tears,and raises a rough finish, until you crank the speed WAY up and plow into it with a decent carbide insert. Tough on a small machine like a Myford.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Reply to
cmsteam

I go along with both replies but I would also suggest that Humph checks the saddle yet again. Older models work on the narrow guide or inner shear principle and more than me have found the inner guide to be curved. Again, and other readers must be sick of me saying it, there can be wear on both the top of the bed and the front shear which is 6" or so from the chuck.

Again, the cut should only be attempted when ALL but one of the sliding parts are locked.

Finally, the leadscrew and or the feed nuts might cause problems from wear.

All of the foregoing will help narrow down the problem

Cheers

Norman

Reply to
ravensworth2674