myford super 7 alternatives in USA?

I have an ancient ML-7 now, very well worn. I'm considering replacing it with something newer, ideally, with a quick change gearbox. =20 A super 7 plus would be nice, but they sell for over $10K in the USA. Are there any less expensive alternatives here in the same size range that are built to the same or tighter standards than the Myfords are?

-- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.

Reply to
Doug Warner

I have owned three myfords. They are available used. The first two I bought off the internet. I found them right here in RCM. One of them was a prestine ML7 that cost less than 1k. The second was an old super 7 without a QC. The third and the only one I still own, I bought via a friend. It is a late model super 7B and is about as prestine as you can get without buying a new one. Cost me about 3k.

There is lot of good american iron out there. A guy named John just bought and took delivery of a prestine clausing from Dick Tremstria for about 4k. I bought a well tooled rockwell 11 inch for similar money(also from Dick). Well tooled means it has nearly every accessory you could want. Chucks, faceplate, steady rest follower rest carriage stop etc.

chuck

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood

Check out the Harrison 10AA (11" x 24"). Same as the Colchester Chipmaster. All the desireable features, plus built as an industrial machine. I lusted after a Hardinge HLVH, until I got my Harrison.

John Normile

Reply to
John Normile

I will second the 10EE, practicalmachinist.com has a message board all aobut them. An early MG machine is dead reliable, but 'only' 2500 rpm. later tube ones can be quirky, but retain value better with the original drive. estimate 3-7 k for a good runner, ebay link is all the money

Reply to
yourname

What's the difference between a Super 7 and a Super 7 Plus? We have a Super 7, and prices for these are a small fraction of the $10k you quoted here in the UK. These lathes aren't too heavy. You might actually be able to buy one in the UK, ship it to the US, pay import duty and still be ahead of the game.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy