Myford Super 7 Question ?

Can somebody measure me the tailstock barrel on a Super 7 and let me know the diameter ?

Ta muchly

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

John

Best I can do with my old Miutoyo is 1.1146", there is only a couple of tenths difference along the barrel but that is the least worn area. Lathe is a late 70's machine with plenty of use. Hope this helps.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

John

Best I can do with my old Miutoyo is 1.1146", there is only a couple of tenths difference along the barrel but that is the least worn area. Lathe is a late 70's machine with plenty of use. Hope this helps.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Yep, I can confirm the same measurement.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Marshall

Probably bad manners to hijack the thread, just wanted to know how that C6 you got performed John? I was going to buy a DB8 from Chester, but they just slapped £150 on the list price!

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Unfortunately it's hit the back burner due to other work, the main one being the conversion of a Bridgeport BOSS from dead to alive. Once the BOSS is back up and running that ones next.

It was bought as a conversion machine to CNC from day one. It's far heavier and sturdier than other offerings from Warco, Chester etc and it was this I was looking for.

I have done a few smallish jobs on it whilst the other larger machines were tied up and it has performed OK. Things like motor shafts and small bearing housings.

I have changed the single drive belt to a two sheave poly vee to both increase and decrease the range offered by the variable DC motor and that has made a difference, I believe the factory is offering a multi sheath version now as well.

It is a metric lathe which suits me but if it wasn't going onto CNC I would fit those digital dials also sold by Arc Eurotrade to make it dual reading. I'm pleased by the fit and finish on this. Finely ground surfaces even where it doesn't matter, chamfered parts that have corners that meet, obviously machined as opposed to being done on a linishing belt.

I can pick fault with it like most machines. The main one being lack of a tumbler reverse, don't matter to me going onto CNC and I don't suppose a lot of people do LH threads, but niggling. You can reverse it but you have the screw an extra pinion [ supplied ] and shaft into the headstock, fiddly and annoying.

Ketan at Arc Eurotrade has indicated that there may be a fix for this later. Tailstock clamping could be improved as well.

Considering what you get for your coin I think it's very good value. I bought a brand new Myford back in 1969 and it's better made than the Myford.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Thats great - many thanks.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Hello John, C6? I will be looking for a lathe and mill early next year to fill the garage, and appreciate any pointers. GeoffH

Reply to
halgat

Just found details in the DB8 posting. Arc Eurotrading. GeoffH

Reply to
halgat

Which is?

Reply to
Alan Holmes

I looked at the other offerings from importers and decided on the C6 mainly because of it's mass. The DB8 weighs in at 125Kg and the C6 weighs in at 145Kg. Most of this extra mass is in the bed. It has full length heavy ribs to the bed, very heavy if compared to size. Being used to full sized industrial machines I wanted something solid and in my book mass equals rigidity.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Same thinking here too - I dropped on the DB8 because it had quite a bit more mass than the Chester 920. I think the DB8 is about 150mm shorter in the bed so the difference overall is probably not great.

I got a note back from ArcEuroTrade on the C6 today - struck me as someone actually interested in delivering to their customers!

Steve

Reply to
Steve