MTM Newark

All

Have MTM the Chuck Jaw people in Newark closed? They seem to have a basic webpage running at

But seems email bounces, and the phone is dead, so I'm assuming thats another useful co lost?

Any other sources for serrated softjaws for powerchucks?

Wayne...

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

Wayne,I gave up trying to use them two years ago.Their phone rang but nobody ever answered. I buy my soft jaws from Universal Engineering Workholding in Halifax.

Reply to
mark

Mark, well it seems they are gone now. I used them what must be 15 years ago to make some softjaws for a 8" taiwanese chuck, they were good and have last to this day though I no longer use that chuck for turning.

I'll try Universal. I need jaws for a 5.5" Powerhold Inc High Speed chuck. There should something I can use. Powerhold want 135-150 $ a set, they got to be having a laugh! $850 for a set of hardjaws. Thats probably worse than Hardinge Prices.

The other Co you put me onto didn't have much 16c stuff unfortunately.

Wayne....

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

I had some scroll type soft jaws from him last year but the quality wasn't very good. One set was parallelogram in section instead of rectangular, spent ages filing one jaw to fit the chuck before I realised why it didn't fit, after that they were next to useless. One set had the scroll teeth in the wrong place on one jaw (he did replace those), there were other problems too.

Tim

Reply to
Tim L

Then just maybe they deserve to have vanished!

Still have yet to find someone to supply me jaws, closest so far is Thame Eng, who do have something I can at least use but not perfect at

30 odd quid a set.

The chuck manufacturer wants $150 a set and $850 for ONE set of hard jaws!! I've not thought of anything suitable to say in my reply just yet ;) I reckon even Hardinge would beat that price and thats unusual.

Wayne....

Reply to
Wayne Weedon