Evolution Chjop saw update

Further to my quandry over whether to buy an Evolution or a bandsaw I am now the proud (hopefully) owner of a "Thomas" Pulldown Cold Saw. The deal was done by swapping two large Carver "G" Cramps and a 5' Carver Sash Cramp for the saw.

Problem is the saw is 415v and it is going in my garage with only 240v available.

"If" I can convert to 240v 3 ph then I have a 750w AB Inverter spare. If not then I am on the lookout for a Transwave or similar. Or maybe I just change the motor for 240v. Unlikely at reasonable money as the current unit is 1400/2800 rpm.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Edwards

If it's a modern finned motor, you'll probably be able to wire it for

240 V. If it's an older motor, you might be able to convert it with some work, or you might not be able to do it at all.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I have got the saw home and into the workshop (garage). It is a "Thomas" "Mod. 250 Super" from the plate it appears made in

1989. The condition appears to be good. The vice ways still show the original milling marks. The head pivot appears to have no wear. Drained the gearbax and noticed some bits of bronze so I dropped off the motor. Found that an 8mm grubscrew had come out of the wormwheel and was sitting bouncing on the wormwheel teeth. Does not appear to have done any major damage. The blade looks in fair condition, not worth regrinding yet. Need to finish cleaning it up, fit the 8mm grubscrew plus another 6mm retaining a plain bearing. Finish cleaning out suds tank (integral to base. There is no coolant pump. I understand that it originally had a "Fiat" fuel lift pump fitted to the back of the motor fan housing running off an eccentric roller. I think that I will do the same. The fan housing is damaged where the pump mounted but should be repairable.

Now need to source a Transwave or similar or even make a static converter. The motor is two speed marked as 415v so it is likely that it is wound straight 415v delta.

All in all a decent aquisition that cost me two big Carver G cramps and a 4 foot Carver Sash cramp. None of which I have needed over the last 15 years or so.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Edwards