DUAL DIMENSIONS - ABOVE vs. TO THE RIGHT

My company has begun using dual dimensions as the standard on assembly prints for use in catalogs, web, etc. My problem is that SolidWorks
only allows secondary dimensions to be displayed 1 of 4 ways (top, bottom, right, left) under Tools, Options, Document Properties, Detailing. This setting applies to the entire drawing, and there is apparently no individual control over specific dimensions. For instance, sometimes secondary dims fit better above, and sometimes to the right. Does anyone know a work-around, besides manually inputting dimensions? Also, is there a standard practice that would dictate that all dims be one way or another?
Any input would be appreciated.
-JOSH
My company has begun using dual dimensions as the standard on assembly prints for use in catalogs, web, etc. My problem is that SolidWorks only allows secondary dimensions to be displayed 1 of 4 ways (top, bottom, right, left) under Tools, Options, Document Properties, Detailing. This setting applies to the entire drawing, and there is apparently no individual control over specific dimensions. For instance, sometimes secondary dims fit better above, and sometimes to the right. Does anyone know a work-around, besides manually inputting dimensions? Also, is there a standard practice that would dictate that all dims be one way or another?
Any input would be appreciated.
-JOSH
I'm not sure if there is a standard or not, but having them in different locations is just asking for someone to read something wrong on the drawing. Just my opinion.
Yeah, I hate that. Seriously bugs me. Enhancement request?
Here is a standard listed in the Genium Modern Drafting Practices and Standards Manual. it is a long haired, 5" thick book that mostly describes engineering functions. this is one item in section 6, Dimensioning and Tolerancing. this book is a good base for an company engineering manual. all you have to do is write a deviations listing for items that your company does differently than the BOOK states. this is what i did. anyway here is its definition of dual dimension placement.
4.0 IDENTIFICATION OF METRIC EQUIVALENTS The inch and millimeter dimensions must be identified, one from the other by square brackets [ ] surrounding the millimeter dimensions and placed adjacent to the inch dimension. Position is optional, selecting the method which best fits into the available space. Consideration shall be given to uniform placement of the metric equivalent on each drawing.
so this means that the position of the dial dimension is not clearly documented. the reason is that different countries like their dual dimensions in a different place. Japan wants them on top, Korea wants them below, China wants them to right (and would not accept a drawing until this was done). i am sure that Europe would want them in another location. it is not us that need to standardize on this, just the rest of the world.
so for a company standard select a location and see to it that it is done, at least consistanly.
Words of wisdom sometimes fall on faint ears, i am glad that SWx users listen. iQ
That70sTick wrote:

iQ et al,
According to your drafting "bible", it appears I am dimensioning correctly. I am using [] brackets for my metric dimensions, and have found placing them to the right of the inch dimensions works out best. Having them at the top takes up too much space, especially when dimensioning using bilateral tolerances, additional notes, etc. I understand the urge to stick with one particular placement method for the sake of consistency, although I would expect it to be obvious by the [] brackets (and a little common sense math) which dimensions are inches vs. mm, regardless of where they are placed. My beef was that SWx doesn't allow independent editing of this property, and I was wondering if it was by design or not?? I agree that it is best if you can pick one method and stick with it as a default, but there should be the flexibility within the software to make exceptions.
Thanks to all who had input here.
-JOSH
UG allowed dual dimension pplacement to be adjusted for individual dimensions.