Control of the viscosity of high MW Polyimide

Recently, I got PI solution of 6.7wt%, 34cps in NMP+BE+GBL. The MW of PI was around 80k. I tried to synthesize similar PI solution with the MW of 60k -100k, which showed viscosity of 129 - 150 cps at 6.7wt%.

This is not the first time. Whenever I happende to check the viscosity and MW of PI's of other major Companies, they showed reasonable viscosity with proper MW. But my PI's are always too much viscous.

It seems that there is some special technics to control viscosity of known PI mother reaction mixture by dilituion or treatment during synthesis.

Is is just case by case? Please let me know any tips to solve this problem.

Reply to
dream91

A small amount of branching could have a big impact on viscosity.

While the viscosity you are getting is 4x or 5x of your target, the absolute numbers are still pretty small. Is your application that critical?

Your English is just fine, better than many native speakers.

John Aspen Research, -

"Turning Questions into Answers"

john.spevacek