Polyimide

Hello. I'm doing research into the markets for polyimide. Can anyone help me find industry contacts that understand the uses for polyimide? This includes polyimide stock shapes (such as Vespel), machined parts, powders and liquids. I'm hopeful to talk to anyone including material manufacturers, but specifically want to speak with people who actually use polyimides in the products they make. Thank you.

Reply to
Bucky

Polyimide films are widely used as flexible printed circuit substrates. Some of these materials are used in IC packaging, such as the packaging technology offered by Tessera. They are also used in probe cards (devices for making contact to IC wafers, for production testing).

The chief advantage of polyimide in these applications is excellent resistance to temperature (especially the heat required to reflow solder). Major disadvantages are cost and water absorption. Kapton (DuPont brand polyimide) is an astounding 4 wt% water at saturation!

Reply to
Mark Thorson