Re: polyimide formula

=20

> > Does this help? > >
> Note they have not shown polymer chain and there is an extra free =

oxygen

> atom. > > You can assume Vespel polyimide is made from an aromatic diphthalic = type > > acid and an aromatic diamine. > > Frank (too) >=20 > not too much i'm afraid. as i said, i'm a physicist and my knowledge > of chemistry is somewhat limited, but this link of yours gives me a > third formula for polyimide: > c14h9no2 (or o3 - whatever that extra oxygen means...). sort of adds > to the confusion... >=20 > Nonetheless i found a structural formula giving the polymer chain in > the link below >=20 >
=20 > which gives the c22h10n2o5 version on the first page, so that's > probably what i'm looking for - but still some confusion remains... >=20

The chemistry is good but structure may not be exactally that of Vespel. It is an all aromatic polyimide but the acid and amine moieties may be different. There is/was a grade of Vespel that is/was an aromide. What ever, DuPont does not disclose the actual chemistry. Frank Sr.

Reply to
Frank Logullo