Another epoxy question

Hi!

I am using an epoxy resin with an amine hardener. The resin also contains a component which is easily hydrolyzed. In the presence of the amine the hydrolysis is faster than the crosslinking leading to a turbid duromer. If I increase the rate of crosslinking by heating I get a clear product (which is also stable enough against water and moisture). Thus the handling of the resin is a bit complicated.

Any suggestions for alternative curing agents? Curing temperature has to lie below 100 C.

TIA, Oliver

Reply to
Oliver 'Ojo' Bedford

Use polyurethane

"Oliver 'Ojo' Bedford" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@campfire.rrz.Uni-Koeln.DE...

Reply to
Christina Benedek

What about an acid rather than a amine? I've use p-toluene sulfonic acid, and gasous sulfer dioxide to acid cure epoxies in coatings, dont know if it transfers well but it might be worth investigating. I understand that UV activated acid cure is also used sometimes in larger applications but that may not apply here.

Another question is what amine are you using? Maybe something stronger or weaker is what is needed to get the ratio of crosslinking to hydrolysis under control. A little steric hinderance can go a long way to controling the cure.

Ghostwriter

Reply to
ghostwriter

Yes, this could be a possibility.