Question on Devcon 5 minute epoxy and label warning

I needed a strong glue for home repair. I bought the Devcon 5 minute Expoy in my local hardware store. There were warnings not to get it on your skin as
you mixed it, etc. Of course I got some on my skin, so I washed immediately. I also left a window open for ventilation while using the product.
Question: How dangerous is the warning below that accompanied the product? Should this product be avoided in favor of Duco Cement or Krazy Glue? Or is this polymercaptan amine and exoxy resin in almost every strong home construction product?
Warning: Contains epoxy resin and polymercaptan amines. This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Avoid breathing vapors. Use with adequate ventilation. Wear suitablle protective clothing.
What the warning is about is Epoxy Sensitivity.
It's hit and miss who be effected. Some unlucky few suffer effects the first time they are exposed, others never see any effects.
The best thing to do is protect your self while using it, always wear gloves and always wear a mask when sanding.
http://www.fram.nl/workshop/controlled_vacuum_infusion/allergy.htm
Stephen

in
as
immediately.
is

Expoy
product?
Or
cause
-- David

Of course. That way you can get medical Mary-Jane even if you haven't quite got anything yet.

California causes cancer!
Kalipornia is a cancer!
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow
Moe Hair wrote:

Well, the warning isn't dangerous at all. ;)
The glue is more so, but not so much that I'd worry. Certainly all epoxies have 'epoxy resin' (and probably polymercaptan amine), and keeping any sort of glue out of your eyes and off your skin is a good idea. I usually use latex gloves when using epoxy, and if I get some on my skin I clean it off with alcohol (which is probably more dangerous, btw.) Epoxy sensitization can result from exposure, so it's best to avoid contact.
Cyano-acrylate glues (ie, Krazy Glue) in my opinion is more dangerous. Get that on your skin and it bonds very quickly. Get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth and it'll bond them shut or open before you have a chance to wipe it off. I read about (don't know if it's actually true) an industrial accident involving a pressurized container of heated CA which ruptured, spewing glue over some workers. They ended up with their eyelids glued to their eyeballs, which is a scary thought. This MSDS from Loctite indicates that no permanent damage should result, though, if care is taken in treatment:
http://www.e-barnett.com/MSDS/000165.pdf
I think that all of California's warnings about various things isn't really to protect the public, however, but the give the state and manufacturers an out; "Hey, we warned them right on the package!". Next they'll have warning labels on Di-hydrogen monoxide! ;)
Mark E. Hamilton NAR #48641-Sr ARSA #418

Epoxy fumes are really bad in high concentrations. Also, I would always wear gloves when using epoxy.
There isn't hardly a chemical around that the State of California doesn't claim will cause cancer. I'm suprised they haven't labeled bottled water yet.
Brian Elfert

They bypassed the middleman.
They labeled groundwater.
After COMPELLING then BANNING MTBE.
Just Jerry

And speaking of cancer, isn't that where Jerry lives?
--
KayCee

KayCee wrote:

Don't remind me!
In answering your question, no one questioned your premise. If you want a strong glue, then avoid 5-minute epoxies. 20-minutes is a good minimum setting time for a strong epoxy.
Regards, -Larry Curcio