Newbie Question-Dimension Label

Sorry to bother you with a simple question.

I extruded a sketch 10"(the extruded length may change). I would like another dimension to be the half extruded length. I cannot remember how to display the dimension label I.E. d1,d2 etc. If d1=the extruded length I would like the 2nd dimension to be d1/2

How do I do this?

thanks Monty

Reply to
Monty

Look up equations and dimensions names (not labels) in the help.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

what you want to do is go into the equations menu, click add, double click the feature in the tree that has the dimension you want to be half of the overall 10", select that dimension and it should show up in the equation box followed by an equal sign, then do the same thing with picking the dimension for the overall and divide that by 2... that should do it for ya... Hope that helps and made sense..

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Thanks Guys!

Reply to
Monty

Monty, you might consider renaming the dimension to help document your intent. Clicky-clicky the first dimension, hit the drop down, and select Link variable; give it a meaningful name.

Reply to
Mike Young

You don't have to link to accomplish that. Go to the properties of that dim and type it in there - I do it all the time when creating a part family with a design table.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Not the same thing? I'm curious if linking to nothing does anything more than change its name property.

Reply to
Mike Young

When you link, whether the first instance, or subsequent ones, you are merely creating a variable that they all reference and maintain a tie to. When you change the name of the dimension, it's the only one that is affected. So, my conclusion would be that the name change would be cleaner.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany